Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

security system

U

urleycay

i just bought my first vette a 93' ruby red coupe w/ 32.000 orgn miles on it and have two questions , where do i get recall info and has anyone had any problems w/ security system. mind came w/o fob so i purchased new one from chevy and programed it. it will open rear hatch and when i walk up to car lights come on and i can hear door locks click and the same is true when i walk away but locks DONOT lock and horn does not beep. even if i try doorlocks while in vehicle i have to hit button 3 or 4 times to get it to lock. now i live in small town and took car to local chevy dealer and there tech told me system is not responding and i need a new brain box. if this was true i could not have programed fob at all. any ideas or suggestions?
thanks

Security System aka PKE

Congrats on buying a really nice car.

If you hear the door locks click when you walk away, leave the fob at some distance and check whether the doors are actually locked. Perhaps they are.

When you walk away and hear the door locks click, the horn should toot very gently. My horns have badly corroded grounds and don't toot reliably. Cleaning the grounds every once in a while helps. My Corvette is a '95 and has a ground wire near the horns. I believe your '93 grounds via the physical horn mount. Clean it up and your horn may sound when the doors lock.

The PKE system may be turned off with the fob by being near the car and holding the door button in for about 7 or 8 seconds. After 2 or 3 seconds, the locks will twitch. Continue holding the door button on the fob and after 7 or 8 seconds the locks will cycle FULLY. That indicates that the PKE has been deactivated. The same procedure will reactivate the PKE.

The PKE works via a radio transmitter in the fob. When the car doesn't 'hear' the fob, the PKE locks the doors. When the fob gets close to the car, the doors open. If the fob is really still (motionless) it stops transmitting and the doors will lock - even with the fob in the car. When the fob moves, it transmits and opens the doors.

Hope this helps

My FSM says that the key has to be in the ignition, with the ignition off (bypassing the VATS) before you can turn the PKE on or off, or change the door openings. One cycle will have only drivers door open, another will have both doors open, and the other will have neither door open. I used my spare set of keys in the ignition and checked the operation with the fob by walking out of range.

:w

:pat

PKE Security

Not sure for a '93 but my '95 changes from 1 to 2 (or vice versa) door open with the key in ignition when holding down the door button for about 5 seconds.
Without the key in the ignition, holding down the fob door button for about 5 seconds turns the automatic lock/unlock via fob presence on/off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom