Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: See The USA in a 1961 Chevrolet Corvette convertible

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
See The USA in a 1961 Chevrolet Corvette convertible

The Norman Transcript
For The Transcript
Published: January 05, 2008 12:00 am

"Graduating from Capitol Hill High School in 1961, I always wanted a Corvette from that year," Bobby Cleveland said. The personable sales and marketing firm CEO was sitting in his south Norman office decorated with Elvis and golf memorabilia. His shiny red and white 1961 Chevrolet Corvette convertible was parked right outside. "We used to watch that 'Route 66' TV show and it was the coolest car around," Cleveland added, referring to the early '60's program featuring two hipsters in a 'Vette cruising the USA having random adventures. Since 1953, Corvette has been America's only true premium, production, high-performance sports car.

"After we got married and could afford it, my wife and I started searching. The 1961 model is hard to find. We found 1960s and 1962s but couldn't find a 1961. Then, 21 years ago we found one in south Oklahoma City owned by a guy who had it about 95 percent restored," Cleveland said. Cleveland completed the restoration, which was mostly interior work. The car is State Trooper-bait red. Coveted globally, it's a legendary ride. Once he parked it at a mall and came back outside to find a pair of Japanese tourists taking photos of each other in the driver's seat.

"I don't go to many car shows, but when I do, it always wins something. We went to the one in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, where there were 6,000 Corvettes and we had the only 1961."

General Motors made fewer than 11,000 that year and relatively few have survived. It was the first year that Corvette was successful at Sebring, due in large part to its new aluminum radiator that reduced weight significantly and increased horsepower to 315 from the 283 cubic inch V-8 engine with Rochester fuel injection.

Cleveland's ride has the optional four-speed transmission. 2007 Corvettes are luxury cars, but 46 years ago they had few amenities. The 1961 interior was little changed from the first Corvette produced in 1953. Cleveland's 'Vette has a crowded dash with engine temperature, battery charge, fuel level and oil pressure gauges, a clock, tachometer and speedometer.

In 1954 an optional radio included the "Wonder Bar." By pushing a single horizontal bar the radio would automatically seek the strongest station signal. Cleveland has an updated sound system.

"I only drive my Corvette to work once in awhile. One time I was out here on Highway 9 and this girl in a '63 GTO pulled up beside me. She revved up her engine and next thing I knew, we were racing. She waxed me," Cleveland said. "After that I had a 454 engine put in it." The boost in power created cooling system issues that required modifications. "I had to have two electric fans added and don't have trouble with it overheating anymore."

A new engine just because you got smoked at a light may seem like an extravagance, but consider this. Sticker price for a new 1961 Corvette was just under $4,000. Today one in excellent condition easily fetches 25 times that amount or more. People have followed Cleveland on the street and made offers to buy his 'Vette on the spot.

"I had a 1982 Porsche 911 for awhile and that was a sharp car. It cost more money than the Corvette but it never generated the kind of enthusiasm that this one does," Cleveland said.

"Back in 1961 at Capitol Hill High School nobody had a new car. If you ran around with five or six guys, usually only one had a car and he'd pick everybody up. Gasoline was like 21 cents a gallon and we'd all chip in," Cleveland said. "Lots of guys had '55 Chevys. That was a cool car. Back then you had to have moon or flipper hub caps and the car had to be lowered. You could always get a good deal buying hub caps right out of the parking lot. A local guy would paint pin stripes. Capitol Hill was like its own city."

Cleveland's telephone rang and he let it go to voice mail. Elvis singing "Heartbreak Hotel" played before the message was received.

"This is the only Corvette I've had but I'd also like to have a '67. We don't drive this one very often. It doesn't have air conditioning, and on a hot day with the top down we about burn up," Cleveland said. "We've pulled it (on a trailer) to our place at Grand Lake and the time we went to Eureka Springs we drove the old Route 66 highway from Tulsa. But I wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere. I'd take off for California today," Cleveland said.

He smiled wistfully, possibly imagining the random adventures he'd have on that trip.

Have you seen a cool car around Norman? Writer Doug Hill's always on the lookout for the next Dig My Ride column. E-mail him at Hillreviews@hotmail.com

Cool story. That 1963 GTO must have been a Ferrari 250 GTO since Pontiac didn't come out with theirs until 1964.

If "Doug Hill" is responsible for this exercise in disinformation, let's hope he doesn't start writing histories.....

Did you consider that the 1964 Pontiacs were introduced for sale to the public in 1963 September? :upthumbs

Hi Wally,
I knew that someone was going to say that. :L I'd still rather believe that it was one of these 1963 GTOs.

Hello Tom,

Happy New Year,

I was trying to remember if there were any GTO`s besides your picture at the 63 Nationals. Delorian could have made the 64`s available to the Pontiac teams. I recall Mickie Thompson was pretty tight with Pontiac around the same time as he had several different Pontiac powered Dragmaster chassied dragsters there. But Your probably correct as those racing were just 1963 Tempests ..;)

I think this is what you are remembering. 1963 Tempest Super Duty 421.

47b7d729b3127ccebbedbca8056200000036100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

Also available in wagon form.

47b7d729b3127ccebbe2eaf265c400000036100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

Sorry for the bad pics. I had to transfer hosting sites and things went goofy in the process. Fortunately I still have another clear copy to upload to the site when I get time.

tom

In those days I had a '61 red with white coves.
It was 315 HP with the competition suspension, metalic brakes, close ratio 4 speed and 4:11 posi. Listed for $5100

I played with anything that challenged me until I would decide to floor it and wind it up to 6300 RPM. I would wave bye-bye to them at this point. If we met again at a light they would just stare with their mouth open after getting beat bad.
I lost to nothing. I did have a hard time with a Shelby one time on Rt95 in Topsfield Mass. I had to bring it up to 145 mph to lose him.
We met up at a rest area and he said that was the first time he lost.
Many good memories in that car. However, when I think about it the car was a death trap by todays standards. Kingpin front end from early pre 1955 Chev, drum brakes. Going 145 in that car with my girlfiend was plain stupid. I get goose bumps thinking of it, but I was 22 at the time and felt I was indestructible.

Likie This Except Red?

4104361papers.jpg

1061821.jpg

1962-61-FI-Vette2.jpg

Are those the same Daytons that are on your '62?

No Tom, heres both cars. But they were inspired by the Route 66 program when they put the Daytons on theirs. A fraturnity brother identified them as Daytons from his hometown of Xenia Ohio. His name was Dean Chenoworth, killed at Lake Taho in Bernie Littles "Miss Budweiser" Do you remember him? His Dad had a Pontiac Dealership there.

4104315c.jpg

4104316x500-1.jpg

The name sounds familiar. I remember reading about the accident. Those 2 cars look great together.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom