Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seeking "User" feedback on STEEROID's R&P

Craig1979

Corvette
1979 L82
I'm considering the Steeriod's Rack & Pinion conversion set-up for my C3 (1979) Corvette.
I'm looking for feedback from C3 owners who have installed and driven the Steeroid's Rack & Pinion conversion set-up.
The manufacturer's performance claims state that the rack & pinion eliminates all the on-center wander and vaqueness that is so common to the C3 factory power assist steering system (especially evident with wide tires).
The conversion is not inexpensive, but would be a reasonable if it is as good as the manufacturer claims.

-Was the improvement in steering quality truely significant??

-Was there any U-joint binding that you were not able to eliminate by the steering column adjustment procedures suggested by the manufacturer??

-Was the steering radius of the car reduced after the install of the rack & pinion (ie: did the front wheels not turn as sharp in a full-lock turn - like making a tight u-turn)??

-If you were using headers, did the conversion clear your headers OK?? (If so, what make/brand of headers were you using??).

-Any other general considerations, warnings, or observed performance improvements that you can pass along to other thinking about this conversion??

Please share any first hand information you have after driving this rack & pinion conversion so that fellow Corvette owners can make an decision before spending the money on an aftermarket system.
Thanks.

I did my own install before steeroids came out on the market, some 4 years ago, and i'ts the second most important change in handling done to the car, first being wheels/tires, of course....I have '92 vette rims 17x9.5 on all 4 corners...steering radius is wider now, but more a function of the rubber than the steering....it's still a tighter turn than a C4 though....

the headers can be an issue, I used some from a smaller company for 150 bux and they clear nicely...I used only two universal joints on the input linkage...so there are no adjustments...I used the same rack as steeroids, but obviously fabbed up my own brackets...

GENE

mrvette said:
I did my own install before steeroids came out on the market, some 4 years ago, and i'ts the second most important change in handling done to the car, first being wheels/tires, of course....I have '92 vette rims 17x9.5 on all 4 corners...steering radius is wider now, but more a function of the rubber than the steering....it's still a tighter turn than a C4 though....

the headers can be an issue, I used some from a smaller company for 150 bux and they clear nicely...I used only two universal joints on the input linkage...so there are no adjustments...I used the same rack as steeroids, but obviously fabbed up my own brackets...

GENE

What rack did you use? Did you use the stock PS pump? any pictures.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom