Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Serpentine Conversion

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
does anyone know of a good serpentine conversion kit?

I'd like to have everything run off of 1 belt (including PS and AC).
Does such a kit exist?

I'm not doing this for more power, but for simplicity.
I hate have individual belts.
I also prefer the spring loaded

try early 90's Camaro with TPI I was told that the 4.3 vans used the same system but have not verified it personally these are supposed to be fairly cheap from the junk yard.
As long as they do not sit much higher then the originals they should fit. the only thing that may cause a little concern is one of the heater lines on the Serp system runs into the radiator you may need to have a radiator shop put in a bung.
Thats on my list of things to do on my 68 and 76 just have not got to it yet.

I can tell you a 88-92 camaro/firebird serpentine swap isn't a easy swap. The problem is you have to notch the front crossmember to get clearance for the crankshaft pulley. Then when you achieve that you find that the smog pump hits the upper a-arm bolt so you have to shave the pump down some the use a shorter a-arm bolt ..... Did this on my 82, yeah alot of work but definately nice to have on the car.

I can tell you a 88-92 camaro/firebird serpentine swap isn't a easy swap. The problem is you have to notch the front crossmember to get clearance for the crankshaft pulley. Then when you achieve that you find that the smog pump hits the upper a-arm bolt so you have to shave the pump down some the use a shorter a-arm bolt ..... Did this on my 82, yeah alot of work but definately nice to have on the car.

I would ditch the smog pump for sure. ;LOL

This system is off a 90 S series 4.3 pickup/Blazer. Only down side is it sits high. I used an aftermaket L88 hood. Plenty of clearence.

corvetteproject027.jpg

Purchased mine from MARCH performance,it was a piece of cake to install.

I got a complete setup for an 88 vette off ebay, all I had to do was make a smog pump eliminator pulley. Got belt, all the pulleys abd brackets, PS pump and compressor for $300

There's a guy on ebay that sells cleaned and blasted 88-92 GM set-ups for $159 + shipping . He throws in the bolts and pulleys. You'll need to buy all the accessories.

You can re-use your stock PS pump by changing the pulleys out.

As others have mentioned the Crank pulley will hit the crossmembers on 82 models. I did a quick fix and purchased an underdrive pulley from www.tpiparts.net it works fine.

But since I have my engine out I'm going to notch my crossmember and use the stock pulley. I didn't have any problems with the mog side hitting, it's close but clears. I didn't use a smog delete pulley and it works fine.

The reverse rotation water pump may have a water outlet for your heater return, I purchased a new one for a 1990 camaro and it did. Since I have TPI and the fuel lines interfere with the location on the pump I'm going to use a "T" spliced into the lower water hose. I did this on a V8 swap I did in my old S10 and it worked great.

For the upper hose you'll need a swivel thermostat housing to push the radiator hose more "foward" to clear the belt. Otherwise I thing it will hit.

Best of all it clears my stock hood just fine!

the 90 degree 4.3 stuff looks alot more compact then the camaro/firebird serpentine systems. So I can see why that would work with less trouble. I believe the crank pulley clears because of a different depth to the whole system and a f-body system is pushed forward more. I never thought about a underdrive pulley due to charging issues I've read about.

I also added dual 1990 corvette electric fans to the car as well

but here is a f-body system on my 82 vette

aircleaneronvette003.jpg

Just curious, did you have to modify your valve cover where the alternator charging "stud" would hit?

When I first installed mine I had steel valve covers and the stud wore through the boot and almost started a fire. :eek:hnoes

I had to take a hammer an knock the corner of the valve cover in a bit......this isn't a problem on centerbolt valve covers because of the design.

But on perimeter mount covers it is.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom