Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Service Column Lock Question

C

C5SilverBullet

I knew I'd be here asking a question sooner or later... :D

Ok... I got the Service column lock problem with the pull key wait 10sec. Since it wouldn't drive over 2mph I had to have the car towed :mad BUT, the sterring column isn't locked at all, I can move it in all positions.

Questions:
Should we or should we not install the CLB?
Is there instructions on how to do it?
Will the CLB solve the problem or do we have to fix the SCL problem first? or will the CLB fix it all together.

We have disconnected the battery for a few seconds and that didn't fix it.

I read the threads on this but still confused on what to do because I read that it will affect the BCM?? not sure what that is either...
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. :upthumbs

First check your battery voltage, if low recharge it. This might cure the problem for now. If you can move the steering then the locking plate has been removed, one of GM fixes. A CLB will solve the problem you are having permanently. I use it and know many others who use it also. The problems with BCM you refereed to don't seem to exist anymore. I think some people purchased these devices in their infancy from less than reputable dealers and that is where those stories came from. Buy your CLB from reputable dealer and you will not have any problems.

I kind of jumped the gun and did not answer your question completely.

You will have to get the column lock to disengage before installing the CLB.

The CLB should come with specific instructions, a removal of radio and under the column panel will be necessary. These instructions should be included, if not there are many step by step instructions with pictures on this site.

Once installed the CLB will solve all future problems with the column lock.

Will the CLB come with the instructions on how to disengage it as well??? :confused THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your help!! :upthumbs I GREATLY appreciate it!
I will purchase the CLB from corvettes of houston, TONIGHT! I hear they're reputable. This bites, because we were gonna cruise in it for Crusin the Coast, now I'm not sure I'll make and that makes me angry!:mad:mad

I kind of jumped the gun and did not answer your question completely.

You will have to get the column lock to disengage before installing the CLB.

The CLB should come with specific instructions, a removal of radio and under the column panel will be necessary. These instructions should be included, if not there are many step by step instructions with pictures on this site.

Once installed the CLB will solve all future problems with the column lock.

UPDATE: I installed the CLB, reset the fuses, reset the battery, and I STILL get the SCL and pull key error message. I checked the voltage on the battery thru the DIC and it's at 11.8?? The only other thing I know to do is replace the battery, which I will do tomorrow to see if it fixes this ANNOYING problem!! I do have it on a charge just to see if it will go away... I only have TWO more days to get it on the road for CrusintheCoast.
=( Suggestions??

Were you able to unlock the wheal before installing the CLB? This device can only be installed once the steering is unlocked, if the message appears after starting the car then you must resolve that issue first. Reading your other posts I would suspect low voltage to be the reason for the malfunction. Charge the battery and most likely the message will be gone when you start the car. If so then and only then proceed ti install the CLB. It might be somewhat frustrating and general pain in the @$$ but once done you will never have these issues again.

Yes, but that's the "strange" thing... My steering wheel NEVER did lock up. That's what I don't understand. I got the service column lock and the pull key wait 10 sec message also and couldn't drive it - had to get it towed
but I think I read somewhere that the pull key... has has nothing to do with the SCL...
I'm about to go check the battery and see where it's at.
I don't know whatelse to do...:confused

Were you able to unlock the wheal before installing the CLB? This device can only be installed once the steering is unlocked, if the message appears after starting the car then you must resolve that issue first. Reading your other posts I would suspect low voltage to be the reason for the malfunction. Charge the battery and most likely the message will be gone when you start the car. If so then and only then proceed ti install the CLB. It might be somewhat frustrating and general pain in the @$$ but once done you will never have these issues again.

I'll venture and guess the reason you got the message and the wheal did not lock up is that the dealer performed the recall by removing the locking plate. That approach did not work because it left the rest of the system in place which is prone to other problems. The computer still needs all clear from the lock system before allowing you to drive. Got to keep this short since I'm holding up a meeting but if you pm me with your phone no. I'll be happy to call you with some pointers later in the day.

UPDATE!!

I'll venture and guess the reason you got the message and the wheal did not lock up is that the dealer performed the recall by removing the locking plate. That approach did not work because it left the rest of the system in place which is prone to other problems. The computer still needs all clear from the lock system before allowing you to drive. Got to keep this short since I'm holding up a meeting but if you pm me with your phone no. I'll be happy to call you with some pointers later in the day.

Just wanted to give anyone who cares an update with my SCL issue:

Well I wasn't so lucky to have the problem fixed. I tried everything as suggested and I still got the error. (I DO realize the CLB is to prevent it from happening again once you cleared the problem)
And that's the issue we were having, for some reason, we can not clear the problem, something else is going on? possible bad BCM? from what I've been told.
Therefore, I had it TOWED this afternoon to a repair shop, suggested by JaneAnn. :thumb(THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much for that) So we'll see what he finds.
Guess my hair won't be blowing in the wind this weekend, unless I take the busa out!
I wanted to THANK EVERYONE for their help! it has been GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you Zig! you've been great! :_rock I appreciate the call! It was nice talking to you. Thanks again you guys! :w

To bad you couldn't get it to work, hope the repair isn't to painful on your wallet. If you ride a Busa you obviously have the need for speed:thumb. Keep the shiny side up and let us know what the problem was, regards Zig.

Hopefully Kevin can get you fixed up PDQ. No doubt, he's one of the finest people I've ever met and he won't jerk your chain. That's a promise! :thumb

Let us know how it turns out!
:wJane Ann

Thats my luck... :eyerole lets hope it doesn't hurt to much...
Yeah, I guess so huh? I just learned to ride about a year go and I love it. It's so much fun! Such a RUSH! :D
I will definitely keep you posted! Thanks again!
have a great weekend... :w

To bad you couldn't get it to work, hope the repair isn't to painful on your wallet. If you ride a Busa you obviously have the need for speed:thumb. Keep the shiny side up and let us know what the problem was, regards Zig.

I'm hopin he does as well. I'm gonna call him today and see what's up with it. :D That is a big relieve to know... thanks!
I will keep you posted.:)

Hopefully Kevin can get you fixed up PDQ. No doubt, he's one of the finest people I've ever met and he won't jerk your chain. That's a promise! :thumb

Let us know how it turns out!
:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom