Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service fuel system

Joe Vette

Corvette
2005 Lemans Blue Coupe
I know this has been posted before but I can't find the real answer. I have an 05 coupe with 80,000 miles. Got the message on the DIC and the fuel gauge drops to empty. Is there filter or something I need to change? Is here a simple fix? Anyone please help got a long road trip coming up and very concerned. Thanks all

I know this has been posted before but I can't find the real answer. I have an 05 coupe with 80,000 miles. Got the message on the DIC and the fuel gauge drops to empty. Is there filter or something I need to change? Is here a simple fix? Anyone please help got a long road trip coming up and very concerned. Thanks all

You have a build up on your fuel level sensor, run a couple of bottles of Techron through the gas tank and you should be good to go! Good Luck! :thumb

I have good news.....and I have bad news......the good news is if you use less than a tier one fuel in you car you may have some build up on the sensors in the tanks and a few cans of techron or Sea Foam can help clear those up. Now for the bad news....if that does not work and some testing of the system by a qualified person shows the sensors are bad.....then both tanks have to be dropped out of the car to fix them.....thank you GM....:mad

That's where I am at on my 34K 2010 GS.....which the problem started when I had 25K on the car but out of warranty. 6M car they can get the tanks around the tranny, only the mufflers have to be removed to get to them......on a 6A car the tear down is more complicated.......thank you GM....:mad

Try the easy stuff first and if that works maybe switch to Shell or Chevron fuel that will help keep the sensors clean.....good luck to you on it!

....thank you GM.....:mad

BG 44K also does a good job of cleaning the fuel system.
I put a can in every year on all my cars. I also use 100% gas most of the time (except on road trips where you can get it).

If the BG 44k (or Techron) doesn't clear it up, you'll be buying new fuel sensors.

Thanks guys. Are these products available at a Pep Boys or similar auto store? I travel often and premium gas sometimes isn't an option. I'll try the treatments.

Thanks guys. Are these products available at a Pep Boys or similar auto store? I travel often and premium gas sometimes isn't an option. I'll try the treatments.

BG44K is usually found at repair shops or dealers, not auto parts stores and it is expensive. I use e-bay for the BG44K, and try and get the funnel that clips to the can if possible, it makes pouring it in easier. Techron can be bought at most auto parts outlets, make sure that you get the 20 oz bottle of "concentrate plus" and not the fuel injector cleaner. The bottles look the same so read the label closely. Run the tank from full to as empty as safely possible with out diluting the mixture in the tanks, and try it multiple times if needed. There is probably only one sensor that is reading inaccurately, so if the cleaners don't work have a scan done on the ECM to see which sensor it is, C5's can tell you through the DIC but C6's do not have that capability so a scan tool is necessary. Good luck with it. :)

The NAPA stores in my area carry BG 44K and several tire and service centers have it also. The NAPA store closest to me is also a repair show and they keep in on the shelf. Good for me.
It is expensive, like was said, so most auto parts chains like AutoZone, O'Reilly's will not carry it. The average shopper at these stores would rather spend 2-bucks on "snake oil" fuel system cleaner than 20 on BG 44K even though "snake oil" doesn't work.

My daughter's S/O is a dealership mechanic and gave me a couple of cans. It really works, when dealership mechanics recommend it because it works; why settle for less.

Tuna: "snake oil" is a keeper. :thumb:thumb:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom