Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Settinng Up A Shop/Garage for my Vette

FactoryC3

Corvette
1981 Black Coupe Red Interior
Setting Up A Shop/Garage for my Vette

I am wondering if any of you have tried the interlocking floor tiles for garages? Looking at this option Vs Epoxy paint. Any folks out there with a tried and true manufacturer or other experiences?:confused

Painting works well as long as you don't do heavy maintenance where you roll a floor jack around on the floor or drag jack stands over it. If your shop work includes that stuff, an epoxy paint will show wear fairly soon.

The problem with painting is that the floor has to be in good condition, very clean and free of old paint if the epoxy coating you put on is going to look good.

As for interlocking floor tiles, there are three major brands out there but I think the best is WeatherTech's "TechFloor" product.

In fact the CAC needs a product review on floor covering for garages and TechFloor is the one we've selected. We're going to an installation of it in the foot traffic work area of my shop in a week or so. I suspect we'll have the review up in the next 30 days.

One thing nice about TechFloor is the wide variety of colors which are available and that WeatherTech offers a number of different sized and shaped tiles besides the standard 12x12. Having all those different sizes and shapes makes it easier to install with almost no cutting required.

Weathertech has a web site for TechFloor.

I installed "Race Deck" garage tiles in my 3-car garage not long ago and I like the way it came out. Easy to install and looks good.

I thought about epoxy paints but my garage floor had 13-years of oil, dirt, battery acid and other stains and would not have done well with a painted surface. It was smooth however and allowed the tiles to snap together easy and lay flat.

I have not tried to jack my car on the tiles yet so I have not used jack stands on them yet either. I suspect that the weight on the jack stands might cause them to cut into the tiles or break them.

Since my garage is not square or "L" shaped, I used a "draw" program to create a grid that matched my garage and then selected the colors and position I wanted them. I ordered them directly from Race Deck in the number and colors I wanted with a few spares of each color and style. If I mess one up, I can pull of the bad tile and replace it with a new one pretty easy.

Race Deck comes in many colors and styles also. Mine are "coin" finish or flow through. They are 1/2 inch thick and have room below them to allow water and other liquids to drain out or dry. Race Deck will mail you a few sample tiles if you ask them.

Go here for more info:
Race deck | Garage flooring |Race deck garage flooring | Race Deck.com

Here's my finished garage:
Tuna_after3.jpg

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom