Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sharp left turn leads to trouble

S

spcorvette

I have a 70 shark and have only had it for 1 year. In the last couple of months, I've noticed that when I make a sharp left turn, the steering locks up and just keeps going left. When I muscle it back, there is a clunk noise that really has me troubled. This shark has power steering. Any help would be appreciated. Just don't know what is going on or how to fix.:confused .

I have a 70 shark and have only had it for 1 year. In the last couple of months, I've noticed that when I make a sharp left turn, the steering locks up and just keeps going left. When I muscle it back, there is a clunk noise that really has me troubled. This shark has power steering. Any help would be appreciated. Just don't know what is going on or how to fix.:confused .

sp, Without actually seeing the car, I would guess that it is in the power steering control valve. It may be as simple as adjusting it, and it may need to be replaced. Raise the front of the car, place on jack stands, start the car (do not stick your arm through the spokes of the steering wheel) see if the front wheels move left or right by them selves. If they do, you might be able to adjust the valve. Remove the cap on the end of the control valve and turn the nut in one direction then the other to see if you can get the wheel to center. If you can't adjust it out, it's time for a new control valve. Now, if the wheels didn't turn, turn the steering wheel, slowly left ot right and see if it will go left or right on it's own if it does, replace the control valve. The only other thing to check, that I can think of is the steering box its self. The grease may be driied up and it is sticking in one direction or the other..............Hope this helps.......Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom