Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shelby spanked by ZR1 and old C4.........

LT4man

Corvette
96 Collectors Edition LT4
On the way home from the CruiseFest which wasn't a CruiseFest I was involved in a major kill while on northbound I-65 just north of Bowling Green.

A little ahead of me was a brand spanking (pun intended ;LOL) new black Shelby Mustang. Then a new black ZR1 joined our little caravan. The Shelby wisely did not challenge the ZR1 at all. :rotfl After a few miles the ZR1 exited the interstate.

I promptly was challenged by the Mustang. To his chagrin, he was left in the dust. Properly disciplined by my LT4, the Mustang decided to let me be the lead car and we traveled together for a good hour. His Shelby looked pretty cool. But, after the day was done, he was still driving his Shelby and I was still driving my LT4 Vette! :boogie

I am wondering how he slept last nite!!! ;shrug

AFTER SLEEPING WELL LAST NITE, I WILL BE TRYING TO SAVE THE :w!

On the way home from the CruiseFest which wasn't a CruiseFest I was involved in a major kill while on northbound I-65 just north of Bowling Green.

A little ahead of me was a brand spanking (pun intended ;LOL) black Shelby Mustang. Then a new black ZR1 joined our little caravan. The Shelby wisely did not challenge the ZR1 at all. :rotfl After a few miles the ZR1 exited the interstate.

I promptly was challenged by the Mustang. To his chagrin, he was left in the dust. Properly disciplined by my LT4, the Mustang decided to let me be the lead car and we traveled together for a good hour. His Shelby looked pretty cool. But, after the day was done, he was still driving his Shelby and I was still driving my LT4 Vette! :boogie

I am wondering how he slept last nite!!! ;shrug

AFTER SLEEPING WELL LAST NITE, I WILL BE TRYING TO SAVE THE :w!

:nono Shame on you picking on a cripple:boogie

Scott,You would have helped Greg spank that stang!!!!!!!:boogie:boogie:thumb

LT4s Rule!

Hey Greg.....

He learned what those of us with LT4s already know. Chevrolet was laughing up their sleeves when they rated our engines at 330 HP. :boogie
It was the same joke that they floated with the '67 RPO L88 rated at 435 hp. (Yeah, right.)

But hey, at least he didn't hide behind some lame excuse like his clutch was slipping.;shrug

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/Boeingdriver_photo/100_0186.jpg

Agreed - although the LT-4 was well under rated as far as hp, it's WAY over matched by a REAL Shelby with 500 horses.

The LT-4 "might" be under rated, but it's still well under 400hp at the rear wheels. The Shelby driver either had more than he could handle with what was under his own hood, or he was playing.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but let's be serious here.

Agreed - although the LT-4 was well under rated as far as hp, it's WAY over matched by a REAL Shelby with 500 horses.

The LT-4 "might" be under rated, but it's still well under 400hp at the rear wheels. The Shelby driver either had more than he could handle with what was under his own hood, or he was playing.

:wYes, lets be serious here, I am really
appalled
at some of you doubting LT4man's story. As long as I have known Greg I have never heard him fabricate a story, he may beat around the bush a bit, but he keeps his cool and always relate the facts. I have seen some post from some of our members that border on the twilight zone, and I enjoy reading them, and you hardly see anyone dissenting them. If he
sez
he dusted a Shelby, he dusted a Shelby you can take it to the bank. SC:WTT

I'm not doubting Greg's story, but like I said the guy in the Shelby either didn't "really" want to play, or he had more than he could handle under his own hood.
And I'm sure Greg's LT-4 is a very fast car.
I've read that the Shelby's handling really sucks compared to the vette and if that's the case, this guy might have been white knuckled and afraid he was going to wreck his new car. But an LT-4 isn't going to stay with that Shelby if there's even a "decent" driver behind the wheel.

:wYes, lets be serious here, I am really
appalled
at some of you doubting LT4man's story. As long as I have known Greg I have never heard him fabricate a story, he may beat around the bush a bit, but he keeps his cool and always relate the facts. I have seen some post from some of our members that border on the twilight zone, and I enjoy reading them, and you hardly see anyone dissenting them. If he
sez
he dusted a Shelby, he dusted a Shelby you can take it to the bank. SC:WTT

What I'm saying is that it should have never happened, that's all! :)

The Shelby driver either had more than he could handle with what was under his own hood, or he was playing.

Yes, let us be serious here for a moment. (Like I have NOT been serious in my initial post. Right!!!)

I was not going to respond to the comments questioning my integrity, because I did not want to give the "doubters" any more fuel for their fire.

I will say this: If I used the quote above in defense of MY driving skills, I would be laughed off of this forum. I learned a long time ago, what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I do not really care if the Shelby driver was a grandmother who first got her driver's license that morning. I do not really care if the Shelby driver was afraid of getting some road tar on his quarter panels. Mr Shelby would NOT race the ZR1. He challenged me and I accepted his challenge. He attempted to race me and my LT4 on several separate occasions and was unsuccessful.

Scotty, Thanks for saying what the folks who know me know about me. I am not in the BS business. Never have been. Never will be.

What impressed me about Mr Shelby was his respect of me and his deference to me after he was dusted. He did not pull a ricer move like waiting for slow traffic and then racing around me. He was a class act all the way. The Shelby is a beautiful automobile and is now my favorite. Next to Corvettes, that is! :)

NOW THAT WE HAVE ALL THAT STRAIGHTENED OUT, SAVE THE GOSH DARN :w!

Scotty, Thanks for saying what the folks who know me know about me. I am not in the BS business. Never have been. Never will be.
:)

NOW THAT WE HAVE ALL THAT STRAIGHTENED OUT, SAVE THE GOSH DARN :w!

I never questioned your integrity - I've been on this board long enough, and have read enough of your posts to know you're not a BS'er.

That's why I submitted my previous post - I didn't want to be misunderstood by anyone.
Now I'm done. :)

I never questioned your integrity - I've been on this board long enough, and have read enough of your posts to know you're not a BS'er.

That's why I submitted my previous post - I didn't want to be misunderstood by anyone.
Now I'm done. :)

:wThat's what I like about this forum, you get a debate going and people get things straight once and for all. Now Dwayne sez if we live in a perfect world the Shelby will smoke the LT4. Do we live in a perfect world?? No, so all things considered you could have the best car on the road and still get your butt kicked. Looks what happens out on the Nascar tracks every week end, the best car does not always win. Sooooooooo I will put this to rest and thank everyone for their comments good or bad, this is the good ole american way of fellowship:thumb:thumb:thumb SC:WTT

While I am licking my wounds I will save the:w

I know how stock 1996 LT4 Vette's perform! ;)

:lou
L8TR - D

My signature used to say "Too many mods to list!" My signature no longer says this. Folks who never saw my original signature would not know my Vette is no longer stock. Now my signature says: Slightly(!) Modified. I will explain.

My Vette was stock only until June 1996. I starting my bolt-on mods at that point. All of my mods have been truly bolt-on. I have not touched the intake manifold, the cylinders heads or the block.

Two (2) years ago, the folks at Speed Inc. in Schaumburg, performed a dyno-tune. I am pushing almost 400 HP at the crank based on my rear wheel horsepower numbers. Certainly no longer the laughable 330 HP that GM claims came with my Vette! ;LOL

This has been fun. I think I will keep this trophy locked up in my trophy case. I really am not one to disobey the speed limit laws in our states.

When all is said and done, I still have a Vette parked in my garage. Mr Shelby still has his..................Shelby...................right! :boogie

No matter how many superchargers you install on a Mustang, no matter how many spoilers you attach to a Mustang...................it is still a Mustang! Nuff said!!! :boogie:boogie:boogie

AFTER DUSTING A SHELBY, I DID NOT FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

Smoked Ford

What's new here? LT4man, you're right, the guy in his flashy cobra-bedecked mustang tried to take you on and ya smoked him. What's the problem here? If he had driving reservations, he shouldn't have tried it in the first place, so that's out. You have~400 hp, he probably has "power" in that range, so that's out.
I'm curious about why anyone in one of these new mustangs would try to drive them over ~120 - the aerodyn is obviously not there with their brick front ends. That has to cause the front to lift at the higher speeds - which is even more reason not to take on a Vette.

Best wishes to you, ya done good!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom