Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shift Kits

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
First it a 700r4

I been looking at the diffrent shift kits out there Transgo, Superior, B&M Fairbanks.

I had the trans rebuilt but a local shop and it been a nightmare I dont want to send it back there AGAIN so they can have sit out side for anouther month if I sent back that would been the 3rd time not again.

After they rebulit the trans it shifts very soft shiting point are very low, you can feel it slip in to the next higher gear, even if you hold the shifter in 1st gear it will still shift at 3000 RPM's and 4500 in 2 to 3rd ect.

I have a new Govenner that rated for 5200 RPM shifts ready to stick in.

But which shift kit to get Firm shift plus fix the shifting points that you can hold it in a gear shift semi smouth during normal driving when on the gas hard shift firm but not snap you neck doing so.

Help I ready to order one this weekend but which one the trans is should have a corvette servo in it now but the place that did the rebuild who's knows what they did.

Wow. You got my sympathy there Mr. Marv - new tranny, new motor, and none of 'em are spinning too well... That's hard luck bro'. Maybe get your cash back from the tranny shop and get some FSM's and manuals, and do it yourself.

Might be time to start breaking EVERYthing down, and re-assembling the right way video-doc'ed, while the parts are all new. Maybe getting FSM and doing OEM configuration... You can't go wrong when you do it yourself. We can help ya' with FSM, since it is a tough read.

First it a 700r4

I been looking at the diffrent shift kits out there Transgo, Superior, B&M Fairbanks.

I had the trans rebuilt but a local shop and it been a nightmare I dont want to send it back there AGAIN so they can have sit out side for anouther month if I sent back that would been the 3rd time not again.

After they rebulit the trans it shifts very soft shiting point are very low, you can feel it slip in to the next higher gear, even if you hold the shifter in 1st gear it will still shift at 3000 RPM's and 4500 in 2 to 3rd ect.

I have a new Govenner that rated for 5200 RPM shifts ready to stick in.

But which shift kit to get Firm shift plus fix the shifting points that you can hold it in a gear shift semi smouth during normal driving when on the gas hard shift firm but not snap you neck doing so.

Help I ready to order one this weekend but which one the trans is should have a corvette servo in it now but the place that did the rebuild who's knows what they did.

The above is a little tough to understand but...to confirm, you had your automatic rebuilt and afterwards the shift quality is way too soft and the shift points, even when you manually shift it, are way too low.

If that's correct, a "shift kit" regardless of the brand is not likely to fix the problem as the trouble is coming from poor-quality rebuild work.

First thing you need to do is get the stock rebuild done right...then add a shift kit.

I read many other threads and what I gather the transgo is the way to go.
I ordred a transgo 700 SK $62.99 shipped.
I hope this was a good move.
Like I said I don't want a hard shift for everyday driving but when it time to play everyonce in a while a noticable shift will be nice also.

Wow. You got my sympathy there Mr. Marv - new tranny, new motor, and none of 'em are spinning too well... That's hard luck bro'. Maybe get your cash back from the tranny shop and get some FSM's and manuals, and do it yourself.

Might be time to start breaking EVERYthing down, and re-assembling the right way video-doc'ed, while the parts are all new. Maybe getting FSM and doing OEM configuration... You can't go wrong when you do it yourself. We can help ya' with FSM, since it is a tough read.

Ha Ha I never try to rebuild anouther Auto again I used a FSM never again.

As the rest of the car murphies law enough said.

The above is a little tough to understand but...to confirm, you had your automatic rebuilt and afterwards the shift quality is way too soft and the shift points, even when you manually shift it, are way too low.

If that's correct, a "shift kit" regardless of the brand is not likely to fix the problem as the trouble is coming from poor-quality rebuild work.

First thing you need to do is get the stock rebuild done right...then add a shift kit.

I think the shop put the wrong Govener in the new rebuilt trans that will not let it rev up.

It Lazy when it shifts but when it shift it not a soild feel most of the time you can not even fell the car shift.

The motor freewheels as in if you doing any speed and let off the gas then get back into it it has to rev up before the car starts pulling again.

I had a guy at work that this shop rebuilt his Turbo 400 and worked great he told me to go to this shop I wish I never did.

I could bring the car back to them but it not worth the headachs.

I think the shop put the wrong Govener in the new rebuilt trans that will not let it rev up.

It Lazy when it shifts but when it shift it not a soild feel most of the time you can not even fell the car shift.

The motor freewheels as in if you doing any speed and let off the gas then get back into it it has to rev up before the car starts pulling again.

I had a guy at work that this shop rebuilt his Turbo 400 and worked great he told me to go to this shop I wish I never did.

I could bring the car back to them but it not worth the headachs.

Does it behave the same way when you take off when the stick is in 3rd or OD?
The TCC might be screwed up. That or the torque converter is not right for that tranny. They can install the wrong servos and allow slippage between gears if the builder was not specific in ordering the rebuild kit for a Corvette. The standard 700r kit is different than the vette rebuild kit. I had a shop rebuild mine and it did the same thing....soft mushy shifts. They claimed it shifted "nice and smooth"....I said BS,, its not a minivan !
They had ordered a standard set of parts that were not for the vette. After they pulled the pan and replaced a servo with the correct piece, problem solved.

Any shop can check the pressures and see if they are even close to being enough to operate that trans in the vette specs. If you can slide the TCC cable in/out and it does not do anything, it may not be connected at the other end !

I was under the car today installing the Headers it was a ok job just took time.

Sounds good but loud uncorked LOL.

I still need to either build a front Y tube to Cat or drive it down and have it done Most likey driving it down to have it done.

When I was under the car I found I still have the same case that the Trans shop said thats one of the reasons it took so long to getthe car back.

The rear bolt that bolts to the trans to rear end bracket is missing.

I pulled the shift Govenner it was the wrong one luck I have a new one out of a Corvette I pulled the pan so far it looks fine I have a shift kit comming this week I stick it back together next weekend.

With anyluck I get rest of the exhaust fixed next pay day.

Then the car should be right for a while.

Does it behave the same way when you take off when the stick is in 3rd or OD?
The TCC might be screwed up. That or the torque converter is not right for that tranny. They can install the wrong servos and allow slippage between gears if the builder was not specific in ordering the rebuild kit for a Corvette. The standard 700r kit is different than the vette rebuild kit. I had a shop rebuild mine and it did the same thing....soft mushy shifts. They claimed it shifted "nice and smooth"....I said BS,, its not a minivan !
They had ordered a standard set of parts that were not for the vette. After they pulled the pan and replaced a servo with the correct piece, problem solved.

Any shop can check the pressures and see if they are even close to being enough to operate that trans in the vette specs. If you can slide the TCC cable in/out and it does not do anything, it may not be connected at the other end !

The rear bolt that bolts to the trans to rear end bracket is missing.

Bolts are over-rated.

coat_hanger_c.jpg

+

Duct%20Tape%202.jpg

.............. =

Hammer down!

I Installed the shift kit this wekend not all that bad of a job I just took my sweet time doing so.

I pulled the pan last weekend so most of the ATF could drain out and about wensday I pulled the Valve body and the other items so they could drain.

This way when I up under the car putting back together it will not be dripping on face Been there done that it sucks.

I spent about 2 hours last night changing out the valve springs ect in the valve body so this morning it just installing everything.

Shifts good lot better than before.

I sure glad for now this just a fun weekend type car that I no big hurry to get done.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom