Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter problem?

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
O.K. Let me try to explain this. My 94 is a 6 spd and has the ring below the shifter knob that is supposed to be pulled up when you shift into reverse. Well mine doesn't seem to be working right. I can shift into reverse without having to pull up on this ring. This is kind of scary since 6th gear is REAL close to reverse!The 94 service manual I have tells me to refer to the 93 service manual for repairs. I don't have a 93 manual. Anyone have any ideas where to begin or is this going to be a major (drop the tranny) type of repair. ZAL81

The reverse lockout rod on the DN 4+3 was an easy repair; the six-speed I don't know. Sorry, but maybe someone else will see this now and respond. ;)

_ken :w

I have never had one apart, but, normaly a lock out just lifts or pulls a rod that blocks the shifter from going across the full width of the gate. Therefore it might be stuck in the top or open postion. Try removing the shifter knob, and working the lockout mechanism, noting if you can see it actually lifting or if it's stuck at the top from dirt or grit. If it's stuck try a little WD-40 or equivelant to see if it flushes the dirt out.
Maybe someone who has actually had one apart can help better than I can.

vettepilot

PS: Now that I think about it, my 93 stuck at the top once, I simply pushed it back down and it freed itself. Never to stick again. That would be too easy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom