Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter recommendations??

Dave

Corvette
2001 Pewter coupe
Does anyone have any recommendations for the following shifters, or are there any I should avoid??

1) Hurst
2) B&M
3) Kirban
4) Ripper

I want to install a new one in my '01 coupe.

Thanks,
Dave

I have a B&M Ripper Shifter and love it. I've not tried the others to speak about them personally. I have heard good things about them all.

B&M Ripper:
It's a very solid unit. Throws are about 30% shorter.
Throws are much firmer than the soft stock throw, which I like for racing. If you or your wife like a soft throw/shift, you may not like this shifter at all.
2nd-3rd shift is more precise with a strong centering spring to reduce risk of mis-shift when running the gears fast.

I have not had any problems with noise from mine, some people have mentioned this as an issue in the past. As an aside though, my car is so loud I likely would never hear it if there was one.

ZZ

Thanks for your input ZZ. I'm looking for a feel that is solid but not requiring a lot of effort with a "snick". Something that feels "quality" if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!
Dave

I just installed a C6 Z06 shifter in mine and I like it. It has a bit shorter throw than the stock shifter but not because of a raised pivot point. The shifter is actually about 3/4 inch shorter than the stock unit. I have never driven a C5 with a true short-throw shifter; but, I imagine the throw with the C6 Z06 unit is a bit longer than a true short-throw would be.

While driving this weekend I noticed there is less "looseness", for lack of a better word, than with the stocker. It seemed to be a more positive feel on the 2-3 and the 4-5 shift. One drawback I can see with the C6 Z06 shifter is that you have to use a stock C6 shift knob with it since the top is not threaded like on the C5. Hopefully, some after market providers will come up with something. I was using an MGW shift knob on my car and loved it but can't use it with the new shifter.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Thank you Yellow 2002,

This is all good input that will help me with my purchase. The CAC regulars are always there to help.
Thanks again,
Dave

I have a hurst in mine (C5) and really like it I also have a B&M ripper in my 76 with a Tremec TKO; the ripper is a little tighter then the Hurst enough so that my Wife doesn't like it and won't drive the 76 but will drive the C5.

I have the ripper in my 99 s/c FRC. I really like. My wife drives it once in a while and it takes her a little while to get used to it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom