Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shocks

Edmond said:
I'll bet the money is really in their shipping charges since they would combine it anyway. Looks like I'll keep searching for other sources of Delco electronic items. I think my alternator is shot so I'm going with the updated one.

If you don't mind talking price, could you tell us when you find the alternator, and compare prices among those places you contact?

Thanks,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Chris Kennedy said:
If you don't mind talking price, could you tell us when you find the alternator, and compare prices among those places you contact?

Thanks,

/s/ Chris Kennedy

I definitely don't mind. I think it's my duty to do so because we should all share those places where we find good deals, don't you think?

Thanks evrybody for your information. I'm still not sure which way I will go I just know that what ever I do it will probably be better than the generic shocks that are on there now. That's what it had when I bought it two years ago.

I am after the best handling I can get. It seems that the ride is pretty rough right now so I don't see how that can get any worse and actually I like it. This one only has 60,000 milrs on it and I always try to stay stock if I can.

Anyone have anything to add? Thanks again.

If you can, have the balance and alignment checked as well. All the little things add up to the total package.

Edmond said:
I'm not willing to spend the money for Bilsteins. They're almost $80 a shock!

One gets what one pays for...particularly when it comes to shocks.

I would consider Bilsteins the very minimum for your Corvette if you want to extract the maximum from the car.

Larry

Edelbrock?

Has anyone tried the Edelbrock Performer IAS shock on a Corvette?

We have them in a '98 Silverado Z-71 and LOVE them-no more rear end dance on washboard roads-real nice. :D

But-I want to know from a fellow Corvette person what the ride/handling is like. I am thinking of putting them on my '72. Thanks,

Rick
:w

RodsnRides said:
Has anyone tried the Edelbrock Performer IAS shock on a Corvette?

I put them on my '96. Took them off a month later. The Edelbrocks worked okay just cruising, but hit less-than-smooth roads at speed and the front end felt like it had no shocks at all. They were terrible. :cry They are a nice looking unit, far nicer than the Koni...but they are in different solar systems when it comes to performance.
I sold them to a CF member in New York, who put them on his wife's vert. She loves 'em.:beer

Larry

Thanks, Larry. The roads here in CO aren't the best-frost heaves, lack of maintenance, etc. Hmm, going to have to rethink the shocks...maybe I'll go with KYB. :)

Rick

Look into the revalved TPIS shocks offered by Mid-America. They are revalved Gabriels (I know, how declasse, some will say), and they give you what I term a "flat" ride. That is, the car doesn't float nor does it get skittish on less than ideal road services. The end result is that you can go faster with greater control. Also, they are cheap, so if you don't like them you won't be kicking yourself.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

Thanks, Chris. :) I'm actually a fan of Gabriels-have the "Gas Ryders" in various A-body and X-body cars. I bought them because at the time as I was lead to believe they had twice the nitrogen charge of Monroe Gas-Matics. Something like 200 psi vs. 100 psi if I recall correctly. They seem fine to me...

Rick

Has any of the magazines done comparrison tests on shocks? I know the combinations would be endless but it sure would be nice to have some sort of baseline to draw from. I appreciate all of the information here but I still haven't decided what to do.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom