Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SHOCKS

L

LUCKY13

Can anyone recommend a shock setup for midyears that offers a softer ride? I realize, with the nature of the beast, the ride can only be so good but I'm ready to replace mine and I might as well go with the best ride possible.

Lucky13, I moved your thread into the General Discussion & Technical area. I'm sure someone will chime in for you shortly!!

-Mac

I'm have a completely new stock suspension (rubber). Original front coils and a new replacement rear 9 leaf, as well as new Goodyear 205/70 R-15's on my 64. I'm using Bilsien HD's. I could drive this car 10 hrs a day (would say 12 hrs but I need new seat cushions). Very comfortable and well handing ride.

My setup is not too far from Subfixer's and I just use Monroe's. Same shocks for the sb and bb. Very comfortable, given the chassis was designed 50 years ago.

LUCKY13 said:
Can anyone recommend a shock setup for midyears that offers a softer ride? I realize, with the nature of the beast, the ride can only be so good but I'm ready to replace mine and I might as well go with the best ride possible.

Hi Lucky13,

Over the past couple of years I have tried several different types. The car came with KYBs when I purchased it. It had the original leaf spring in the rear and coil springs on front. The front had been re-bushinged with poly bushings. The ride was a bit too stiff for me. I made a few changes going to a TRW Mono spring with the KYB GR-2 shocks that were designed for the mono-spring (on rear), but still was not satisfied with the ride. Vette Brakes ran a special on the Bilstein Sport shocks and I changed out the GR2's with the Bilsteins. I was very pleased with the ride at that point. I too wanted a smoother (less harsh) ride.

With all that being said. I have the following shocks available if anyone is interested (send me an email and make me an offer):

KYB - full set. they were on the car when I got it. drove it about 300 miles before replacing them. they look brand new.

KYB GR2 - full set - rear shocks are for fiberglass mono spring. put less than 200 miles on the car before replacing with Bilsteins.

If anyone is interested let me know.

What's the part # for the Bilsteins that you like?

If you are after softer ride, look into some softer springs with Koni classic shocks.

I just intalled a VBP suspension kit. 460 front springs, 330 rear spring and Bilstein Sport shocks. Too stiff for me! I changed the rear spring for a 285, much better. Then changed the shocks to Koni Classics. Better yet. I have the Konis set 1 turn from full soft. I may soften them up some more. Moral if the story....Ride quality is very subjective. Try and get test rides in differant cars with differant set ups. If you get up Maryland way you are welcome to the 65 out.

Tom

Sky65 said:
I just intalled a VBP suspension kit. 460 front springs, 330 rear spring and Bilstein Sport shocks. Too stiff for me! I changed the rear spring for a 285, much better. Then changed the shocks to Koni Classics. Better yet. I have the Konis set 1 turn from full soft. I may soften them up some more. Moral if the story....Ride quality is very subjective. Try and get test rides in differant cars with differant set ups. If you get up Maryland way you are welcome to the 65 out.

Tom

I agree Tom. What is too stiff for some, may be perfect for others. I have spent quite a few dollars trying to get the ride I am looking for. Each change though is making it more to my liking.

Sky65 said:

Tom
Hey Tom, any chance you still have, and want to get rid of, your Bilstein rear shocks??????

Denney

Sorry. Sold the set. I would recommend the Koni Specials if you are in the market for a set. IMO the adjustability is worth the extra money and the Bilstein Sports are pretty darn stiff.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom