Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shocks

D95

Corvette
1995 black convertible
I am thinking about changing the shocks-I have a stock 95 vert.I do not race the car so I do not need heavy duty type.I know the car came from the factory with bilsteins.I would like a smoother ride.Previous owner put in monroes.They seem ok but I would like to keep it the way it was built.The bilsteins all say heavy duty will they be a very firm ride?

If you're looking to soften the ride you should look into getting softer springs. These will affect the ride quality more than shocks.

I have the Bilstein Sport shocks, and VB&P 550 lb Coil Springs. It's a stiff ride. I wouldn't say it's very smooth.

Shocks can control the ride but softer springs with the right shocks will make a much more noticeable change.
Here is info on C-4 springs. http://www.idavette.net/susp_chart.htm
What you may try is the KYB shock it is a cheap shock the will make it softer

Are the KYB's still selling in the $40 range?

Are the KYB's still selling in the $40 range?
I"m not sure what the current pricing is on the KYB shock but they are pretty cheap compared to the
MSRP of $ 399.95 per shock for the Bilstein shocks on my FX-3 suspension.

Thanks guys I think That I will go with the KYB shocks because it will be a little softer than Bilstein. I have read in another forum that the Bilstein HD is stiffer than Bilstein oem which can only be purchased at the GM dealer $$$$$.Bilstein will not sell that to the public-its only available thru GM.For the price of one oem Billstein you can get a set of 4 billstein HD shocks.The KYB shock is about half the price as Bilstein.Previous owner has monroe in front and original Billstein in the rear.The KYB shocks should ride similar to what I have now.Im changing them because the car has 76000 miles on it.The shocks still feel ok.

Aren't the Bilsteins rebuildable?

The things that came originally on the Corvette all seem to have a high price on the secondary market.

Aren't the Bilsteins rebuildable?

The things that came originally on the Corvette all seem to have a high price on the secondary market.

The FX3 shocks are rebuildable. I forget how much Bilstein charges but it is less than the cost of new.

The FX3 shocks are rebuild able. I forget how much Bilstein charges but it is less than the cost of new.
I think the cost of rebuilding the FX=3 shocks is about $ 100.00 and you can also have them rebuilt with custom valving.
Some have had them made with a new module so they ride better than original and handle better than they did stock.
That is what I plan on doing with mine. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too. :upthumbs

update-I put the kyb shocks in and they are great-the only problem is that they raised the height about 3/4 to 1 inch.Will the height settle down to the way it was after a few thousand miles?I do not want to lower the car.thanks :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom