Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Short throw adjustment on Muncie

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Both my 68 and 67 have long throws when shifting and I'd like to look into moving the linkage down to the 2nd set of holes to shorten it up. It looks like it should be fairly easy but would like to get a few thoughts from other members who may have done it. My biggest concern is to make sure all the adjustments remain the same.
Do I just keep it in gear while dropping down to maintain the linkage adjustment?
Thanks,
Jim

As long as the holes are the same distance from the pivot point on each plate you should have no problem. Put the trans in neutral when you do it and then check the shifter itself t see if it is still aligned. I used the shorter holes on my 69 and it shifted great. I did the adjustments when I restored the car so it was easier to do at that time.

Thanks Midnight,
I found a thread on this topic and the author showed pictures of using a "locating gauge in neutral position" then to adjust linkage to 2nd hole. Guess that makes sense if I can get it in place w the body on.
Has anyone else tried the locating gauge trick?
As long as the holes are the same distance from the pivot point on each plate you should have no problem. Put the trans in neutral when you do it and then check the shifter itself t see if it is still aligned. I used the shorter holes on my 69 and it shifted great. I did the adjustments when I restored the car so it was easier to do at that time.

You can eyeball the shifter when you make the adjustments but the best way is to use something in the alignment hole. I have a nylon pin that I have used and I have also used an allen wrench. It is difficult to get anything in that hole because of the limited room in the trans tunnel.

Sorry my mistake. I was thinking of the Hurst in the wife's 69 Camaro when I mentioned the round pin. Old age I guess. The Muncie takes a flat piece made out of steel stock. The service manual says it is 41/64ths wide. I made a piece out of sheet metal about that size that I test fit before I put the shifter back in the car. It does not have to be thick enough to fill the opening but it should be wide enough to just barely fit in.

And if the tranny is in the car, you will have to bend the steel stock slightly to clear the tunnel.

Thanks All…
Now that I know how to do it I just need it to get out of single digit weather.. Ugh..
And if the tranny is in the car, you will have to bend the steel stock slightly to clear the tunnel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom