Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shortening the C5 6-speed shift lever

bumblbe

Corvette
2004 Yellow 6spd Coupe
I've heard that by shortening the stock C5 6-speed shift lever by 1" it improves shifting performance, without adding the harshness that the aftermarket shifters seem to have. I've driven a couple C5's with the aftermarket shifters and I don't really care for the feel of them. Has anyone out there shortened their stock shift lever? What does a machine shop charge to cut it off and re-thread it? Or is there an aftermarket shifter out there that is more user-friendly? My wife and I both drive our 2004 and have each commented on how we wish the throw was shorter, but my wife is concerned that she won't be able to shift the car properly if I install an aftermarket shifter.

There is a company in Florida that shortens them. www.corvetteconcepts.com. I had them shorten mine. Same as you, I liked the looks and the smoothness of the stock shifter.

You can easily shorten the stock shifter yourself. I removed the shifter, cut about 1 inch off, and extended the threads down to where the diameter increases so the knob could thread down as far as possible.
If you want to get rid of the rubber vibration dampener, you can also cut the shaft open on the top half, remove it, and weld the threads back to the lower section.
Here is a comparison...
stock.jpg

stock_mod_red.jpg

What'sthe thredsize on stock C5 shifter, is it 3/8-16 or is it metric?
Tanksfor the reply.

What'sthe thredsize on stock C5 shifter, is it 3/8-16 or is it metric?
Tanksfor the reply.

Neither one. It is 9/16" x 18 tpi.
The shaft is not hardened, but you need a good quality die to cut the threads. I started out with a cheap die, and it did not cut the shaft very easily and I had to invest in a better quality die.

Neither one. It is 9/16" x 18 tpi.
The shaft is not hardened, but you need a good quality die to cut the threads. I started out with a cheap die, and it did not cut the shaft very easily and I had to invest in a better quality die.

I was using the Hurst website. C4 was 9/16-18, C5 was 9/16-19. Could be wrong though.

I was using the Hurst website. C4 was 9/16-18, C5 was 9/16-19. Could be wrong though.

9/16-19 is definitely not right. I don't think that thread size exists as a standard die.

I have used a 9/16-18 die on my spare shifter and I know that matches the factory threads.

The thread size on a stock C5 6-speed shifter is 9/16-18....:beer

I installed a C6 shifter, same as a C6 Z06. It is shorter in height, bent towards the driver and of course shorter throws. Direct bolt up and better dampening than a C5 shifter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom