Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Should I paint the mufflers on my 94?

M

Memphiscop

I know, a dumb question....but the rear end of my '94 seems awesome, except for the visible mufflers in that ugly aluminum behind the chrome tips...Can I paint the mufflers with a high heat black paint, and should I?

when i first read this i thought " are you kidding me" but after i looked at the pictures i kinda agree, i would even try a plain flat black just to take the attention away from them

Before I got my 90 someone installed the LT exhaust from the cat. back. The mufflers are so obvious I painted them flat black. Looks much better. Use heat resistant paint such as BBQ grill paint.I am in search of something smaller that will tuck up under a little more and lighter. What those stock mufflers weigh is ridiculous. And I don't think appearance is anything to brag about.

Glenn
:w

Wow, those mufflers are big. I would paint them with high temp flat black paint.

My philosophy is that the exhaust should be heard and not seen ! So I say paint it.

Just my $0.02
Jim S.

Make sure to clean them off good before you paint them. You can even run a torch to heat it up slightly before you paint it. My neighbor swears by doing that, you clean off the surface and the paint bonds better.

I painted mine a few years ago. I just took some sandpaper to smooth everything out and used some flat black, high heat paint.

That is VERY odd, first, yeah, no problem painting, if you REALLY want the paint to stick, (I have painted many an aircraft) clean the surfaces with MEK but BE CAREFUL of the fumes and wear GLOVES!

Now, having said that, mine are totally different, mine are rectangular and plastic. Anyone know about this?

You're right....write yourself a ticket....they are criminal in appearance! :eyerole

Good idea...Your car would look SO much better...I bever realised they are so big and round before!

Make sure to clean them off good before you paint them. You can even run a torch to heat it up slightly before you paint it. My neighbor swears by doing that, you clean off the surface and the paint bonds better.

Maybe he's right...but since paint can get ruined it sounds too risky since they're right at edge of the bumper cover :eek:hnoes

Definetly paint them...a nice BBQ BLACK should look nice!!

Yah I'd paint 'em for sure. They look kinda "Japanese" all tinny against that sleek black vette.

You're right....write yourself a ticket....they are criminal in appearance! :eyerole

Good idea...Your car would look SO much better...I bever realised they are so big and round before!

Maybe he's right...but since paint can get ruined it sounds too risky since they're right at edge of the bumper cover :eek:hnoes

i would hope you pull them off to paint them...... i know i would to be safe

I painted the mufflers and pipes a flat black on my '96 Grand Sport. Looked soooo much better!

Do it!

Elaine

Did it. Used the high temp BBQ Rustoleum paint, after steel wooling (Is that a word?) them to remove any bumps, etc.....it looks TONS better, and now you see the chrome LT-1 tips instead your eyes always drifting straight to the aluminum. Thanks for the suggestions....I am quite satisified with the results. I'll post a pic later...

i want to thank you for this...... every time i look at my car now i think..man i should pull those off and paint them..... :duh

Muffler painting

I painted mine a few years ago. I just took some sandpaper to smooth everything out and used some flat black, high heat paint.

For future owners wanting to paint their mufflers...heed the advice given above. Heating any metal area prior to painting is a must. It removes the moisture from within the metal, allowing a better bond and longer life. Most paint peeling occurs, due to the moisture trying to escape the coating. If you use a small torch...you will actually see the moisture evaporate. This should be your final step prior to paint application...if you wipe it down again with MEK or other, you will put the moisture right back into the metal. So, use a tack rag to remove any residual film etc...

If you are removing the muffler for paint, after you have painted them, let them dry in the hot sun or have them baked anyway you can, prior to reinstallation.

There are many paints out there for this application...
I have had great success with Plastic-Kote "HOT ROD BLACK" :beer

Before I did anything,I'd get the right outlets and see what could be done about why there hanging so low in the first place!! Then I would see about painting after there able to be tucked up under there like there supposed to be!!:thumb

Just a thought!;shrug

:D

painting mufflers

Just moved to Memphis (midtown) from Buffalo, NY, so if you see a white 87 with a Yankee in it, look the other way.

Did it...and it's MUCH better

I know, a dumb question....but the rear end of my '94 seems awesome, except for the visible mufflers in that ugly aluminum behind the chrome tips...Can I paint the mufflers with a high heat black paint, and should I?

I used Rustoleum High Heat Grill Flat Black, and it has drastically changed the rear view.....thanks for all the suggestions, y'all.

No way, man....

Just moved to Memphis (midtown) from Buffalo, NY, so if you see a white 87 with a Yankee in it, look the other way.

He**, I might just stop you and have a few wings, a beef on weck and a Genny Cream Ale with you!:boogie

Genny Cream

Man, it's been awhile since I've had that but is does sound good. Wish I could get a beef on weck down here and some Anchor Bar wings would make my day too.
Trying to find a good C4 shop, know of any? Have a clunk in the drive line so I am not driving it right now.
We should catch up one of these days.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom