Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shudder going into high gear?

Mike Zarnock

Corvette
1991 Bright Red Coupe
Hi there.Had the car out this past weekend (`91 Coupe automatic). When going up a hill or driving slowly, the car will shudder going into high grear. Anybody else have this happen or know what it might be?Thanx!Mike

Are you lugging the car? Putting the car under a load while at a lower RPM?

Not really, I am just driving normally. I have since then changed all the fluid and filter and added a "Shudder Additive". It seems to be working so far. I will take it out this weekend, if it's not raining and drive it for a while to make sure its gone.I'll post what I find when I do.Thanx for the reply.Mike

Shudder in high gear

I've had 4 GM cars (all automatics) that shuddered when going into high or when 'lugging' up hill (before an automatic downshift). Sometimes the shudder would turn into a real buck and jump.
All of them were due to a bad plug wire. The first one cost me plenty to have the dealer diagnose it. After that, I just replaced the wires.
Hope this helps.

jmccloud said:
I've had 4 GM cars (all automatics) that shuddered when going into high or when 'lugging' up hill (before an automatic downshift). Sometimes the shudder would turn into a real buck and jump.
All of them were due to a bad plug wire. The first one cost me plenty to have the dealer diagnose it. After that, I just replaced the wires.
Hope this helps.
Thanx, I will look into that too.

The plug wires will really cause that with some of the waste fire ignitions.

JS

jsinga said:
The plug wires will really cause that with some of the waste fire ignitions.

JS
Plug Wire's "Can" Make them all!! Feel Like the Tranny is Reddy to Take A Dump!!:upthumbs junk!!

Well, I finally found the problem. It was what I thought all along. The lock-up in the convertor was slipping and not fully engaging. So, I sent it out for a full rebuild. I get it back on Friday. I'll let ya know what happens from there.

Mike Zarnock said:
Well, I finally found the problem. It was what I thought all along. The lock-up in the convertor was slipping and not fully engaging. So, I sent it out for a full rebuild. I get it back on Friday. I'll let ya know what happens from there.

That's great you found it...please let us know what it involved to do the job...be interesting to hear about.

Well, I got the car back on Friday and drove it all weekend. Man what a difference! It ended up being worn clutches and a bad seal. Cost $1200.00 for a complete rebuild along with remove and replace. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom