Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shut off

hotshotzny

Corvette
bright red 1984 crossfire
other than a batery shut off switch is there any way to kill your car so it cant be started and say driven up onto a flat bed and taken away... or even just mved or messed with by some idiot who knows he can do it if the key is within range to start the car... i dont like the fact that it can be started and there is no way of keeping this from happening , seems kinda stupid to me;shrug

Hotshotz,
Unless I'm mistaken, I've always understood that in order to start a C6, you have to have the key fob inside the car. The 'within range' requirement only applies to being able to open the door. If the car does not detect a key fob inside the vehicle, it will not start.

-Patrick

What Patrick said.

I've tried to start the car with the key nearby and I've never got it to happen. I've always got the message "No FOB detected" unless the FOB was inside the car between the doors.

What Patrick said.

I've tried to start the car with the key nearby and I've never got it to happen. I've always got the message "No FOB detected" unless the FOB was inside the car between the doors.

not sure about the vette to be honest.... i know some cars will start just within range. and will move until it goes out of range... everytime im near the car i mean to try and forget to. i guess gm has a better system

not sure about the vette to be honest.... i know some cars will start just within range. and will move until it goes out of range... everytime im near the car i mean to try and forget to. i guess gm has a better system

The C6 made its premiere in late 2005. In the winter and spring of 2005, as everyone was reading information about how this 'new' sixth generation Corvette was going to be different than the seven year production run given to the C5, information about the keyless ignition came out. I can remember in this forum, there were a number of threads about basically this subject: would there be adequate safeguards to prevent theft?

One scenario in particular I remember quite well: imagine that you drive your C6 to a Starbucks for some coffee, and when you get there, you luck out and get a space right in front, by the door. So you go inside, and as you're standing at the counter, placing your order, you are perhaps no more than 10 to 15 feet away from your Corvette. Can someone get into, and start up, your Corvette?

The answer was (and is) no. If the car does not detect a keyfob inside the passenger compartment, it will not activate the ignition system to start. I remember at the time (four years ago) a lot of people had a hard time believing that, and yet I haven't seen the C6 listed as high target for car theives.

Just yesterday, I opened the door to my '08 and sat in the drivers seat. I left the drivers door open and held the fob in my left hand by the door and pressed the start button - nothing but the DIC message saying no fobs detected. Closed the door and held the fob outside the window and pressed the start button - nothing again but the DIC message saying no fobs detected.
Brought the fob inside the window and the car started.

I happy.

Anyone remember the "TOPGEAR" episode with the 3 hosts driving American cars from San Francisco to Bonneville? They stopped at a diner in Nowhereville and parked their cars just outside their table's window. Jeremy left during the meal, went outside and opened up the door to the Dodge Challenger. He then started the car and drove into the middle of the road and parked it~ in traffic! He didn't have the FOBS! (James did, back @ the table.) This scene was deleted before we saw it on our shores. Youtube can be your friend. Kinda scary if you ask me.

Anyone remember the "TOPGEAR" episode with the 3 hosts driving American cars from San Francisco to Bonneville? They stopped at a diner in Nowhereville and parked their cars just outside their table's window. Jeremy left during the meal, went outside and opened up the door to the Dodge Challenger. He then started the car and drove into the middle of the road and parked it~ in traffic! He didn't have the FOBS! (James did, back @ the table.) This scene was deleted before we saw it on our shores. Youtube can be your friend. Kinda scary if you ask me.

I remember seeing that on YouTube, and was a little disappointed it was cut from the version that was shown on BBC-America earlier this year. It was quite funny to see Hammond's reaction when he came out of the diner and found his Dodge Challenger was parked in traffic.

Remember that this show is known for Clarkson, Hammond and May frequently playing pranks on each other. (Watch the Vietnam challenge episode to see how they kept upping the ante on their pranks.) I suspect that particular prank may have been staged a bit. In order for that car to have been in range of Hammond's key fob, it would have had to have been parked right outside the window where he was sitting. I can't believe Hammond is so non-observant that he wouldn't see his car, from right outside the window, being driven off.

I'm thinking the "legal dept" had BBC America cut that segment. Can you imagine criminals figuring this out? (Good thing they're stoooopid!);LOL

I'm thinking the "legal dept" had BBC America cut that segment. Can you imagine criminals figuring this out? (Good thing they're stoooopid!);LOL

I think that when Top Gear airs in Britain, each episode is around 70 minutes, give or take. In order to fit it into an hour long time slot, they have to cut quite a bit out. When Top Gear Season 11 comes out on DVD as a box set, I'm tempted to buy it and see if that scene is still on there as a full episode.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom