Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side Cove Restoration for a '62.

Corvette
1962 rebuild in progress
Good evening folks, looking for information regarding anyone that restores coves for a '62. I would appreciate any information or experience. Thanks

Don't know anyone who specifically restores them, but recently I've seen that they're reproduced. I believe Corvette Specialties of Maryland makes them. Chuck

A 62 is all by itself as far as the coves. Depends on how bad the Vette is, a good glass man should be able to do the job unless your missing the large pieces.

Thanks Iron Cross, let me clarify I am looking to redo the metal cove pieces that attach to the fiberglass cove section on each side. Question for you please, those are great looking wheels on your Vette could you tell me what kind they are. Appreciate your input.

Thanks Iron Cross, let me clarify I am looking to redo the metal cove pieces that attach to the fiberglass cove section on each side. Question for you please, those are great looking wheels on your Vette could you tell me what kind they are. Appreciate your input.

If your looking for the stainless that goes around the cove I then believe you have a 61 and not a 62. Now however the 62 does have some vertical chrome strips on the fender at the front of the cove on each side near where the flags and FI emblems are located. These are chrome plated castings. If that so be the case, I have seen them in one of the vendors catalogues. Possibly Corvette Central or Paragon Products. Both are on the web.

Thanks for the wheel compliment Claude. Those are true knock-offs by Dayton Wire Wheels. 15X6 with 215/65R/15`s GT Goodyear blackwalls on all 4 corners. I have used Dayton wires on this Vette since the car was 9 miles old.

Wally Knoch

My page shows $324.00 for the pair.

Expensive? Dunno. :)

Figure the cost to repair the pits and then re-chrome the pot metal on the originals, plus painting, etc.

Cost of new correct repro vs. refurbish the old ones. :) Chuck

Claude,

If you go looking for used side grilles for the car, be aware that there were different designs for this part. Early, Mid and late. I’m not positive about mid production, but I’m positive about early and late.

The reproductions are late and will fit all the cars. But the early and mid productions will not change out with the other grilles.

The difference is in the way the top of the grille is made. The “Humps” are different. I bought a set of uised early louver grilles for my car in the 80’s only to find out that they would not work without modifying them. Since the repro has come available again the price has dropped on this item and that’s always a plus.

Wally.. Love the wheels.. I passed on a set of these about the same time I bought my used louver grilles…. Stupid. . . Stupid . . . Stupid… on my part.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_info.php?products_id=16974 62 side louver set.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom