Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Side pipes for C3 Corvettes

lagnaf

Corvette
1973 pearl white roadster
I sometimes like to pass myself off as "knowledgible" when talking about 3rd generation Corvettes... at least to my friends who don't know enough to call me out on stuff. :L My question is to you fellas (or gals) who actually do know your stuff.
What years during the C3 time period did side pipes come as stock to the car? I thought I had read that it was 69 only. Anyone know?

1969 it is. my favorite of that generation. i am no chrome bumper expert but the quarter panels were different to accomodate pipes.

1969 it is. my favorite of that generation. i am no chrome bumper expert but the quarter panels were different to accomodate pipes.

Interesting. How were the quarters designed to accomodate the pipes? Are you referring to the flair behind the wheels?

The rear valance under the bumper was filled in where the stock pipes came out. You also have to trim the bottom of the fenders to allow the pipes to come out the sides a bit higher. Hope this helps.:D

The rear valance under the bumper was filled in where the stock pipes came out.

So was the adjacent opening in the quarter panel that formed the full opening for the exhaust tips. Both the quarter panel and the rear valance panel were unique to sidepipe cars. :thumb

There is (or at least used to be) an aftermarket valence filler panel that filled in the exhaust bezel cutout in the quarter panel. Makes the swap to factory sidepipes a lot easier.

I don't know why I didn't put the side pipes on my 69 when I restored it last time, I love those!

So let me get this correctly. Only 1969 vettes had the option for side pipes? But it isnt hard to add them to other C3s?

Also, If you run sidepipes.
Are the no mufflers or are the side pipes themselves part muffler?

I just thought of something else. I remember once a long time back, seeing a vette or other car, that had chrome side pipes but had a cap over the endsof the pipes.
At the time I figured they were just ornamental pipes and not actually used.
Could there have been something else going on? For example 2 sets of exhaust and you could switch between thr regular exhaust or the sidepipe for better performance?

Are the no mufflers or are the side pipes themselves part muffler?

The double-walled/perforated/crimped straight section of the factory sidepipes functions as a muffler, although the 1-7/8" diameter inner pipe is highly restrictive (only has half the cross-sectional area for flow vs. the standard under-car exhaust system); the sidepipe option was driven by Styling and Marketing, not by Engineering.

:beer

So let me get this correctly. Only 1969 vettes had the option for side pipes? But it isnt hard to add them to other C3s? Other than the money factor, one should be able to add them to any Shark. The looks and sound more than make up for the 2" input. :beer
The only other problem other than the aforementioned money problem is the diecast metal does not tolerate road salt. Three Midwest winters and there w/b perforation. :eek:hnoes

Are the no mufflers or are the side pipes themselves part muffler? The sidepipes are just a stretched low restriction reverse flow muffler w/ a single baffle in the middle.

I just thought of something else. I remember once a long time back, seeing a vette or other car, that had chrome side pipes but had a cap over the endsof the pipes. Back in the day these were called "lake pipes" and when connected to the exhaust pipe ahead of the muffler and w/ the plate removed, you had an open exhaust. Some did just put them on for the "cool" factor.
At the time I figured they were just ornamental pipes and not actually used.
Could there have been something else going on? For example 2 sets of exhaust and you could switch between thr regular exhaust or the sidepipe for better performance?

Go for it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom