Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side Pipes

LIRacer

Corvette
65 with ZZ502
I finally finished all the a total body on restoration with mods on my LT-1. Paint, suspension, tranny and rear rebuild, engine mods .. a better stereo. I'll post pictures later today (I'm into this car for $20k over the purchase price :hb )

I installed hooker sidepipes with Spiral inserts and the shields (all cortesy of my friend Scott at Shark tank). If you have hooker pipes GET THE SHIELDS! The shields have already saved my wifes legs. But the heat!!!! The heat used to come through fire wall...now it just dumps right through open window at speed. Any advice?

It's hard to look cool with all that sweat running down your face!

Bruce

Try vintage Air's ice cold A/C, should cure the interior heat for good!

HAs factory AC ... needs to be charged.

You're probably using open shields versus the "stock" covers. The former bleed heat along the length of the pipes while the latter insulate better and dissipate most of their heat through the back.

I would think that the best way to keep the heat out of the passenger compartment would be to shield the pipes better and direct the heat out behind the doors although I'm not sure if you're up for the cosmetic changes this would entail.

Hooker pipes have no insulation. I bought shields and mounted them. The problem is that the shields are mounted with metal hardware and transfer heat. I am going to replace them with nylon and also mount some insulation.

Can you post some pics of the heat shields?

I just bought my car and it doesn't have shields. I'm scared to death of my 7 year old daughter and wife burning their legs. I'm contemplating ceramic coating but I'm still undecided.

Thanks

ceramic coating

Wife burned legs, long ago, on my (once owned, now gone) '63 split. She was able to prevent scarring with Vitamin E, applied topically.

Ceramic coating will do nothing to prevent burned legs. Air space and a non-metallic shield as far away from the pipes as possible will help. Then the issue is appearance.

My concept for my customized '71 w/Hookers was to blend the two wheel flares into a fiberglass shield, under the door, to prevent legs from touching the pipes, which cannot stay cool with exhaust running through.

Failing that, training in entry/exit, and/or long slacks works.

I have had Hooker Sidepipes without shields for 3 years and nobody has burnt a leg on them yet. I drive my Vette March thru the end of November on a daily basis and usually warn new passengers to watch the "pipe". My wife did complain about them in the beginning, but is used to them by now. I very seldom drive slow in traffic so don't have a heat problem as all the heat is left behind:w

I tend to agree with you. I just don't want my wife saying "I told you so" if anything ever happens. I burnt my legs on the first test drive and that was all it took to make me more careful!

Re: ceramic coating

Wife burned legs, long ago, on my '63 split.....Ceramic coating will do nothing to prevent burned legs.......Failing that, training in entry/exit, and/or long slacks works.
Ex bro-in-law had a C2 w/ side-pipes. His wife HAD gorgeous legs,.....UNTIL she contacted the side-pipes, after-which, she 'hid' her legs under slacks :puke
I don't think side-pipes would look good on my '82 (I don't really care for them, anyhow), and my girl-friend, who wears skirts & heels exclusively (often matching my Corvette!), says she won't ride in it if I did get side-pipes!
I just 'look' like a moron :Silly , but I ain't: NO SIDE-PIPES FOR ME!!!!!

I installed a factory style set of side pipes on my '71 LS5 coupe, really not that bad as far as heat, they do get a bit warm, but not like the aftermarket pipe styles!

WhalePirot

Have you taken a look at the side covers I made for my 78 Daytona, If not the pictures are posted on Eckler Daytona Body Kit. They work great without hiding the Hooker sidepipes.

Gary

Ive put sidepipes on my 82, compliments all the time. No burns yet, except for when im under the car and shes still a lil warm.... but its only one small burn on my upper arm.... all good, all worth the oohs and ahhs....

side skirts

i wanted to add side pipes, i think they would look awsome using the skirts i have, i would have to cut an outlet for the exhaust tip

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom