Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side Pipes

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
hi my wife and I have a 82 corvette and she decided she wants side pipes on the car ... unfortunately we live in california and can only do exhaust changes after the catalytic converter has anyone ever made a kit for this type of side pipe installation and would the car be excessively noisy with side pipes my thought is to have pipes bent after the catalytic converter that run to the side pipes to keep the car emmisions legal what about ground clearance anyone know if this would present a problem

thanks for all the info you might have

I will just make a blind stab at this. I would guess you could get an exhaust shop to weld a pair of Cats very close to the exhaust manifold. This is nothing new as the 86 and up Vettes installed cats about 10" from the collector of the manifold to pipe.

Just make sure you shield it for heat damage to surrounding parts. Finally, it would just have a 90 degree bend and back around again to link into the side pipe.

I would think any good exhaust shop could do the job, and you would be off and running.

By putting the Cats on along with the side baffles, it should not be too loud.

You should really verify anything you are considering doing with the California emissions department.

California SidePipes

BroKen has a legal set of sidepipes exhaust on his 1987 and they are very nice. The company that makes them does not make them for Sharks.. I've checked. :(

As Chris states "You should really verify anything you are considering doing with the California emissions department." Let me add, Our Wonderful state has a random inspection policy too. I've been lucky enough to receive with my plate renewal notice a document that states smog inspection required for renewal and "Smog Only Station". I never knew there was such an animal.. The shop I had to go to can ONLY do Smog inspections, NO adjustments what-so-ever. They do a complete visual, and checked my cat to be sure is was a direct replacement and approved by the Republic.

I had just put a brand new exhaust system on Rare with Flowmaster 40 and 2 1/2" pipe and a (approved) free flow cat.. I do know that you must remain with ONE cat.. so that will need to be installed after the front Y. Good Luck and keep us posted I would like to put side exhaust on Rare too :D

Re: California SidePipes

Rare81 said:
Our Wonderful state has a random inspection policy too. I've been lucky enough to receive with my plate renewal notice a document that states smog inspection required for renewal and "Smog Only Station". I never knew there was such an animal... The shop I had to go to can ONLY do Smog inspections, NO adjustments what-so-ever.

:L The so-called "random" check, eh? :L

I was told this was random, yet for the past two inspections, YEARLY, not bi-annually as most, I've had to go to a "smog only" station. If that is random, why the hell can't I hit the numbers in the lottery?!?!? :L

And my smog numbers have always been good. :confused

As for aftermarket side exhaust systems, Lawrence Keech, Inc. only makes the "Side Effects" for the fourth generation Corvette, and even they don't make 'em for the ZR-1. There are no plans for marketing such a system for the Sharks. :(

I'm sure that with a little creativity, and someone with welding skills, anything is possible. Whether it will be considered legal is another story altogether. :gap

Good luck, topless! :upthumbs

_ken

Hello,

I went out the other day to fire up my vette to check it out for this weekend and the back end of the exhaust blew apart:(. So I was having a look at making up something or I would have to go to a custom shop.

I paid a visit to a local speed shop and he put me onto this supplier. It should be easy to make some side pipes and then hook them up under the car with flexy pipes.

I don`t know if you can get this stuff in the US but here is a link to there site, it might give you a few ideas

http://jetex.co.uk/Jetexwebsite/performance_chooser.htm

Re: Re: California SidePipes

Ken said:
Whether it will be considered legal is another story altogether

Anything aft of the cat is legal as far as smog goes. Could run into problems in sound, safety, or someother tech problem.

tom...

Re: California SidePipes

Rare81 said:
...You should really verify anything you are considering doing with the California emissions department."[/i] Let me add, Our Wonderful state has a random inspection policy too ... They do a complete visual, and checked my cat to be sure is was a direct replacement and approved by the Republic.
[/B]

Geez, things may suck over here in the east but am I ever thankful I don't live in California. At least we still have enough loopholes for bubba to work with:L.

- Eric

Being a rabid environmentalist I tried to see if I could get someone to fabricate some custom cats for the Hooker sidepipes, inserts which would do some muffling as well.
I did find several people who built them but they wouldn't do it for the sidepipes. I guess it would generate too much heat but they didn't get specific on why they couldn't. Maybe Hib or some other tech could explain why it isn't possible/practical.

Just a thought

If you used the factory '69 side pipe covers you could come off the back of the cat and go direct to the opening at the rear of the cover with a chrome angle cut tip. Install a short Turbo Tube in that section to knock the sound down. With a single cat it can't ever be too loud.

Tom

Re: Just a thought

59Tom said:
...you could come off the back of the cat and go direct to the opening at the rear of the cover

Tom, didn't you ever see my post requesting advice along those same lines for my system. I don't remember your sage wisdom, or maybe you just didn't want to share it with me. :L

_ken :w

Actually Ken, I stole your idea. I never really thought about it to the point of piecing it together in my mind until I was looking at the Turbo Tubes for Project C10-R. Of course, due to circumstances beyond my control, I forgot all about this subject until this thread jogged my memory. Feel free to use any thought that I come up with as you see fit. No licensing fees required.:D

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom