Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Side View Mirror Help

jcruz

Corvette
1992, 1997
Hi all -- 1st post on the forum and I need some guidance.

My vette had to sit out for a few months under cover this summer. When I finally removed the cover I noticed my side mirrors had become "floppy". It's as if the heat melted what was keeping them together. See the pics. Is there some kind of adhesive or caulking I can use to keep them together???? I tried strip caulk but that just made a mess....

Thanks,

John

Driver side
HPIM0178.JPG

Passeger side
HPIM0179.JPG

There is a spring assembly in there so that the mirrors can rotate when the hit a pedestrian, etc. The retainer on one end of the spring is famous for coming off. The repair, for the most part, is replacement. My suspicion is that someone could have done that to your mirrors as an act of vandalism.

Hi, JCruz. Welcome to the :CAC

Sorry to hear of your mirror mishap. Contrary to the way they look, those mirror assemblies were not designed to rotate, only to breakaway.

About a year ago, someone in my local Corvette club sent an email around that they had found a great solution to the problem of trapped water in those mirror assemblies after washing the car- just rotate it. Lots of folks immediately chimed back to him that this was not a good idea, and sure enough, he emailed back a couple of days later and told us all he had broken his mirror. The replacement mirror assembly is not cheap, either.

In fact, depending on your deductible on your insurance, if Jim's (Drth Vtr's) theory about it being vandalism is correct, it might be worth exploring this as a claim, given the cost of replacement.

-Patrick

Wow. Thanks guys. Vandalism did cross my mind at first, but I discounted it. I guess it is a possibility. Sad if true.

What exactly get replaced? The spring assembly? Can't be the entire mirror, can it?

I guess I'll be heading to the dealer....:ugh

John

yeah i think you have to replace the entire mirror....Sorry about that man i hate to see someones car get vandalized.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom