Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sidepipes legal in CA?

Ed's 1970

Corvette
1970 Stingray coupe
Hello again everyone,

My car is on the way. It has hooker sidepipes. The previous owner started it on the phone and it sounded awesome :D

I heard that sidepipes are not legal in California, no matter what the decible level. Is this true?

I guess I will find out soon driving it around. After all, harley davidsons are running rampant around here and they are loud as hell.

I've had sidepipes on my car since I bought it. The original owner purchased the car in LA with the pipes on it. Except for a few years in NY the car has been on the roads in CA for all of its life with sidepipes and hasn't attracted any LEO attention (for the pipes, anyway) yet.

The only issue some folks might have with later C3s is if they pull the Cat to put on the pipes. They'd have trouble with the emissions inspection but nothing else. . .

Ive got Hooker side pipes on my 75 (although its not a daily driver) and havent had any issues, with the stock engine, and the sound is great. I know Im taking my chances being that its a 75 and allthough I dont have to have smog checks There is something in the book that says all emithions are susposed to be there. like I said I only drive on the weekends and dont drive crazy . now when I install the 383. there may be more of a concern for my to be extra cautious.
but hey these cars are great for crusing and having some fun. sso Live a little I say.
Whoo Hoooo.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will have nothing to worry about.

I believe...

In Kalifornia (the 32nd state) you cannot modify your exhaust from stock. So factory side pipes would be legal if the car was originally equipped.

That being said, I've been pulled over because the officer wanted to know what kind of exhaust I had (he likes the way it sounds).

None of my cars ever have stock exhaust.

You can mod anything after the cat. in California.

You can mod anything after the cat. in California.

I can burp louder than 95db.

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

January 1, 2002.

The SAE standard j1169 sound level is measured by standing 50 feet away from the exhaust tailpipe and going pass the cop with a db meter at whatever the posted speed limit is where they stopped you. Now unless you are running open headders you won't hit 95db. Cal OSHA says the can work in a environment with noise at 95db for 4 hours without hearing protection. SO in California you can mod anything after the cat.

When I lived in San Diego I owned a 71 with headers and 69 factory side exhaust. I had the car for three years and never had a problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom