Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

signal flasher woes

B

billybob

I'm stuck, I cant seem to figure out what this part is or actually does.

Delco Remy, I'm making a big assumption that it is a voltage regulator. its located in the rear compartments behind the passengers seat.

I've swapped out the flasher fuse with a new one, pulled the carpet (need new carpet anyway :) ) and traced the wire back and did a continuity test (which is good) on it but still no luck.

Upon closer inspection I noticed that there is a double set of white wires coming from the harnes which loops back to the delco part. could this be whats causing my problem?

I'm great with motors not so great with the little electrical bits, and any help would be appreciated.

I think the flasher you have found is for the factory alarm. Mine is located in the jack compartment. It powers the horns which are located in the rear bowels of the car. Often times you will find that the system has been dissabled as they have been known to suffer from meltdowns - this could explain why it appears to serve no purpose.

I'm with 71Shark. On '75s, the part you are discribing and it's location indicate that you have indeed found the mechanism for the alarm system. The turn signal flasher is located under the bottom of the passenger side dash pad, retained by a spring clip.

thanks guys, as for the delco remy, I figured what the hey and opened her up. The contact were heavily corroded (smoothed out with an emery stick) and it now tests good, but still no working flasher.

The lights come on but dont actually flash, so now I guess I'll look under the dash (passengers side) and see what I can find.

Will keep advised.

Great job guys,

Twas a wierd thing, when I initially looked under the passenger side dash I noticed the clip but the flasher was not there.

I had to pull off the passengers side map pocket to finally locate the flasher which was crammed way up above the vents, and what I'm assuming was a big assed fuse or resistor, obviously not state of the art.

My sharks previous owner kept it in a nice home but didnt have ummm any mechanical ability, so I'm finding all kinds of things that arent where they're supposed to be.

I've only owned my shark for a few months, but after some serious $$$ and time I may just pass the road saftey.

Tomorrows project put the horn button back in the steering conosle :) and put on all the new interior leather and mouldings.

Thanks again guys.

Billybob . . .

Glad to hear that it is coming along. These old vettes can be a mystery from time to time. It is so nice to be able to rely on our 'brethren' here on the forum . . .

By the way, if you have trouble with the horn, give me a holler . . . been there, done that!!

Ron

Ron,

You were correct on having the bugger of a time, the sharks previous owner did an off the steering wheel horn ( a button ) but it hasnt worked since I bought the car. I figured I would do a quick and dirty like the other for now, but it doest sound off.

I can hear a click when the button is pressed but no notes. Could this be the horn fuse giving me problems? If so where would it be located?

The hayes manual is very vague, similar to building a F-16 with a map to florida.

Bill

Bill,

The click that you are hearing might be the horn relay. If that's the case, then the relay is at least being activated. Since the contacts on the alarm relay were corroded, you may have the same situation with the horn relay. If you follow the clicking sound and find the relay, you can check to see if you are getting power out when the relay is activated. There should also be a lead going to the relay that is hot all the time. Check to see that there is power. Then just keep tracing from there. If the relay produces power out when activated, then you will need to check to see if the power is actually getting to the horn.

I would strongly suggest that you try to purchace two publications. The first would be a factory service manual. It contains electrical schematics for your specific application, not to mention a wealth of other information. I don't know if this can still be purchased from General Motors. I found mine on E-bay and it has been very useful.

The second would be an AIM. This is the Assembly Instruction Manual that was used when the car was assembled. It is actually a collection of 'A' sized (8 1/2 x 11) drawings of the various components of the car, where they are located and how they were assembled. These can be purchased through the Corvette parts houses like Corvette World, etc. I happened to find mine on E-bay also, however I could have purchased the same thing for about the same money from the Corvette places.

Anyhow, hope some of this helps. Good luck on it!!

Ron,

I just ordered both the 75 GM service manual and the AIM from zip corvette $117 for the 2 of them next day delivery, I trust another shark owners advice :)

I'll try tracing back to the relay and see what gives.

(1 horn away from a road safety :cry )

Thanks for the help

Bill

Be patient with the GM Service manual. It covers all the sport cars GM made. Also mine came in three parts (books) 74 service, 74 overhaul, 75 appendix. It's alot of pages and the corvette is definently different from the others. A wealth of information, no doubt about it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom