Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Silicon DOT 5 Brake Fluid

The moisture enters the system at the master cylinder and always has. The moment you unsnap the lid moisture instantly gets absorbed by the DOT 3 and once absorbed it'll travel to the lowest spot; the calipers. That's why it's recommended brake fluid containers should never be left OPEN. Also all of the master cylinders now days have clear reservoirs so you can see the fluid level without having to remove the cap. The higher the humidity is the faster water gets absorbed by the DOT 3 and that's why the DOT 5 is more desirable for cars that don't have anti-lock brakes. But DOT 5 must be used with the later J-1401 hoses because it'll severely swell the earlier hoses. When I switched over in my '71 my rear brakes quit working within 3 months because the hoses had swelled shut. The use of RTV is to prevent rust from forming in the outside end of the bores; not the fluid side.
Talk about short term memory loss!!!
He starts with "moisture enters at the master" then says "RTV seals out rust"
What does he thinks causes rust?

AIR he says,

Last time I took a breath there was H2O in jt

AND the last time I looked at my old pick up it had rust from
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You guessed it WATER [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98] [emoji98]

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom