Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sill Re-Inforcement

S

Spdfrk

my left and right door sill re-inforcement bars are rusted right through. Where can i pick up a new set.

Just in caseI am getting the name wrong, they are the metal pieces that run from the #2 body mount to the #3 body mount under the door sill, under the fiberglass door sill. Do I have the name right?

Thanks

Rust

Hi ...can't help you with the part name but....we were in Antigua in October, I didn't see your vette,what we did see was a Beautiful Island :)

Regards
Ed

Thanks

Thanks for the complement, I always love to hear positive responses from our tourists. I live closer to English Harbour, did you go there?? That is where the vette is. I really have to start a web site to document my progress. Soon Im hoping.

I may be able to help you with this.

That was the main problem with my 69. My windshield frame upper was in great shape, the lower was fair, and the rockers were shot.

I call them rocker supports, or body frame rails, but in any event they go from A pillar (hinge post) to B pillar (lock post) under the sill plate and fiberglass.

Okay, here is the good and bad. Paragon sells a repair kit which is a channel that will slip into the original from the bottom and gets sleeved and welded into the pillars. Obviously, the body has to come off the frame. The bad part to this is most of the old rusty channel stays up in the car and will continue to rust and possibly infect the new metal you install. I actually bought these and welded them in solid in place of the original. It was tricky because I had to make up the space that the original channel took so that it would all fit.

There is another option. I have a good set of rockers out of a 71 that are in decent shape. As long as your A and B pillars are okay, you should be able to cut back the glass, drill out the rivets, and weld in a replacement set. Prices vary for these. Like I said, I have a set sitting around. I can send you pics, etc. Don't know what is involved in shipping, but I could let you have them for $100.

However, if your lower A and B pillars are rotted out as well, You have very little choice but to cut the whole body frame out and seek a replacement. I believe you saw my thread about how I get my hookers for free (side pipes). I have some great pics of there of how you will actually re-bond the body frame to the body.

If I can do it (twice now) anybody can.

Excellant!!

Great stuff!! I will double check my pillars when i get home from work today and let you know by tommorow. If they turn out to be fine, and your rocker set is good, then consider them sold.

Check out my web site, The '73 Spot www.1973-corvette.com and check out the "Restoration Project". There are pics of the parts you describe and what the rust has done to them.

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom