Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Silly Keys question

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
Does anyone know what were the style of original keys as supplied by GM for their Vettes? I know that GM used a 'bare', no cover ignition key, and a 'covered' door key, and the reverse use. I have an '85 and was wondering what correct style key was used for the ignition and door. Later models may be different, and real early Vettes and probably all GM cars, used the 'bare' key. :confused thanks for your interest. Anyone can post their keys here, the more the better.

I'm not clear what you mean by "covered" and "bare". My ignition key is all metal with the security pellet in it - makes it slightly longer, the door key is std GM chevy. Both are plain metal no plastic shrouds etc.

Does anyone know what were the style of original keys as supplied by GM for their Vettes? I know that GM used a 'bare', no cover ignition key, and a 'covered' door key, and the reverse use. I have an '85 and was wondering what correct style key was used for the ignition and door. Later models may be different, and real early Vettes and probably all GM cars, used the 'bare' key. :confused thanks for your interest. Anyone can post their keys here, the more the better.

Does your key have the resistor in it for the ignition? I don't believe the 84's did and those keys were all bare without the black end on it. I think your ignition and door keys should have the black tip on them with the GM logo kind of stamped in.

Hi Ruby Fan,

I have a set of factory keys for my '85 Vette. They do have the black coating on both the round and square key. The coating is also stamped with the "GM" logo. I hope this helps. My digital camera gave up the ghost and I haven't received its replacement as of yet. Otherwise, I would have posted a pic. Sorry.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe. I was wondering if the rounded key was covered too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom