Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Six Speed fluid change

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
Hi all,

Even though the owners manual does not call for it,I am going to change the gearbox tranny fluid in my 2000 with 45k on the odometer.

I just recently bought the car from the original owner,and he did not change the fluid since new. Oil regularly,but not the tranny fluid.

Should i stay with the factory fill of Dexron 3 (as im leaning towards now) or something else.

Also I am putting the car in retirement soon for the Winter,and was going to do this before storage. As always,I welcome your feedback. Ken

Redline D4 ATF works very well in these units. It also seems to help with cold shifting. I've had it in now about 10,000 miles.

Mark

GM's marketing of "low/no maintenance" is simply that...marketing.

For best durability and consistent shift quality, periodic lubricant changes are a good idea. About every 36,000 miles or three years is my rule.

Dexron 3 is the factory fill.

Red Line D4 ATF is a better choice, IMO. Many people use D4 and get an improvement in shift feel when they do. I'll add that D4 is Red Line's official recommendation for lubricant in the T56 six-speed.

A better choice for six-speeds which get driven aggressively or are operated in normal drive cycles but in hot weather is a 50/50 mix of Red Line D4 ATF and MTL....MTL is a 70W80 low viscosity GL4 gear lubricant designed for manual transmissions.

For predominately race track duty cycles or very aggressive street use in hot weather, I suggest using either straight MTL or Red Line Superlight Shockproof Gear Lubricant. "SLSP" is unique for its calcium-based EP additive package and its ability to work well in severe-duty.

I use Superlight Shockproof in my T56 and it's worked very well, but I'll add this disclaimer, use of SLSP Gear Lube on the street is not recommended by Red Line Oil, however, in my experience it works fine except for slightly higher shift effort when the transmission is cold. As soon as the lube begins to warm, the shift effort goes down to the low level typical of Red Line synthetic lubricants.

I have experienced noticeably better shifting in my vehicle with the Redline D4 ATF fluid. Carquest was the cheapest in my area at around $8.00 a quart the last time I purchased some. Raising the front of the vehicle slightly while draining will get about an extra 1/4-1/2 quart more fluid out of the transmission. Good luck with it.

I have experienced noticeably better shifting in my vehicle with the Redline D4 ATF fluid. Carquest was the cheapest in my area at around $8.00 a quart the last time I purchased some. Raising the front of the vehicle slightly while draining will get about an extra 1/4-1/2 quart more fluid out of the transmission. Good luck with it.

Can you do the change with simply gravity draining the old fluid and then replacing? No special draining tools required?

Can you do the change with simply gravity draining the old fluid and then replacing? No special draining tools required?

Yes.
Remove the drain plug
Drain old lube
Replace drain plug
Remove fill plug (if Z06, remove temp sensor)
Fill trans
Replace fill plug.

It's that easy--as long as you have a lift or jack stands to safely support the car. You can't use ramps because the trans needs to be level to drain fully.

Cool, thanks Hib. :thumb Since it is put up for Winter, that will be my next project.

It's also the perfect time for a differential fluid change as well since the car is already up. Did mine at the same time.

Hib, might I pick your brain a sec ? :D Just for an opinion.

I had my A4 2001 Coupe (73k, basicaly stock, blackwing, axel back, ECS wideband street tune, normal casual driving, occaisonal spirited runs, no track driving) serviced a while ago, just maintenance, had the tranny pan dropped (so not a complete flush, pan clean as a whistle when dropped, filter changed) and rear end fluid changed. No problems shifting before or after.

Asked about the rear end fluid but didnt ask about the tranny fluid before they did the work. When they were done I asked if the factory fluid was used and they replied that they used bulk Dex3 to which they added an additive called Lube Guard Platinum which they said brings it up to Dex5.

I wasnt happy. Without doing any research I would have preferred they just use the factory fluid (which I thought was synthetic). After much discussion (pretty well known shop, not ECS) I just let it go.

Was I worrying for nothing?

Thanks guy :thumb

None of my cars are automatics so I don't have much first hand experience with ATF much less a Dexron III "upgraded" to "dex5" with an additive.

If I had an automatic, I'd run it on Red Line D4 ATF and forget additives.

As to whether or not you have anything to "worry" about...I don't know. Again, because I don't have automatics, I have no experience with "Lube Guard Platinum".:confused

Wish I could be of more help, but....

Was worth a shot ;LOL (after all, the list of things you are in fact familiar with regarding the C5 is a pretty long one).

Thanks Hib :beer

If I am not mistaken the six speed trans.uses automatic trans fluid.I also think the synthetic fluid is the best.That is my 2cts.
Ed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom