Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Size & Layout Suggestions Needed

TheSearcher

Corvette
2004 Torch Red Coupe
I have 6+ acres and will build a new garage this year. I have an oversized two car garage on the lower level of the house and a 20' x 30' tractor shed, which I want to use for tractor implements only as field mice get into equipment stored in the shed during winter. I believe I am going with a 30' x 60' x 12' high garage of insulated structural steel with steel R panel siding. Full plumbing with heat and A/C.

One 12' x 30' section will be a combo den/kitchen/bathroom/laundry room area (quick showers, naps, poker games, naughty female visitors, etc.). Then there would be four 12' x 30' bays each with a 10' wide by 10' high door.

The 30' depth is needed for a full sized bass boat on a tandem trailer (outboard and trailer add to length). Plus extra depth will provide space for ATV, Motorcycle, Lawn Tractor, etc.

I have a 2004 Cadillac and a 2005 Tahoe for the house garage, here's what I've got I want in the NEW garage:

1) 2004 Corvette,
2) Bassboat
3) 3/4 Ton 4x4 Chevy CK2500
4) John Deere 4300 Tractor
5) John Deere Lawn Tractor, pushmower, line trimmer, blower
6) Polaris 700 Twin ATV
7) Triumph Bonneville T100 Motorcycle
8) Tool cabinets, power tools (table saw, drill press, etc.), outdoor tools (shovels, rakes, etc.)
9) 7,200 watt emergency generator
10) Storage for hunting and fishing gear, and
11) the 5 tons of other stuff everyone has (paint, polishes, oil, grease, tire chains, water skis, floor jacks, ATV lifts, ladders, dolleys, etc).

What am I forgetting?

The man objectives are:
1) reduce possibility of theft,
2) reduce sun and rain weather damage,
3) reduce insect (dirt daubers are fierce in my area and will build their nests in any nook and cranny they can find and rodent damage),
4) provide a dry, comfortable place to wash/wax/work on vehicles and equipment, and
5) provide a "guy place" where I call the shots.

I don't think its big enough for all that I have a 30x48 and I have 2 Vettes a 52 Ford F1 an 96 Impala SS two motorcycles JD lawnmower the tools workbenches and other stuff and it is pretty full BTW one Vette is up on the lift with the Impala SS partially under it.

I don't have any boats or creature comforts, just an old refrig the only regrets I have is I didn't go high enough at 10 ft 12 ft is better but 14 would enable you to put a decent loft over your "man space" to store smaller stuff that clutters up the floor or you dont use often

just my $.02 a buddy once said "it doesn't matter how big you make it you will fill it up and have to move stuff around to work" ;LOL

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. But what year is the T-100?

What ever you build, Keep maintenance in mind.......therfore build it out of steal that is precoated with a baked on finish that is good for a min. of 30 years

I recommend that you give Mountian Metals corp a call and see what they have to offer... and put it together with screws so you can alter it at a later date without any problems...

don't forget the air comp. and outlets for 220 vac at differant locations for ease of use...

Mike

Go bigger if you can. You have more stuff than I do, I just put up a 32' x 60' x 12', I only have the shell up, no concrete. Already I wish I had made it 40' x 60' x 14'. I am going to add a 16' x 50' lean-to on the one side for storage once I get the whole garage done and outfitted.
This is a 3-5 year project because I'm doing everything myself, but one day I might have enough room.

Agree on bigger if you can...wiring my 30' x 60' x 14' now, but have my 2 vettes in it plus my 2 drivers this winter and can see it is cramped. Will be worst once benches, shelving and equipment are moved in. If I could do it over would have gone with at least 40' x 72' x 16', the 16' would have opened up more lighting options. I will have a fire rated ceiling combine with hi-lift garage doors and a lift placing lighting fixtures takes some thinking...live and learn.

My Triumph Bonneville T100 is a 2003 and its loaded out, heavily modified and puts out about 50% more rwhp than stock. About the only thing else I could change on it is add a big bore kit, but its got plenty of power for me and my Corvette is my main toy at present.

The most common piece of new garage advice I get is " go bigger, you'll wish you did". I guess I might go one more 12' section as in my "wish book" is one more hot rod.

Tomorrow I will be wishing the garage was complete. I am going to try and awaken the bass boat and ready it for spring fishing, can you say $500 in new batteries, siphon out the fuel tank and scrub off all the mold and mildew? I dread the chore.

Bigger is better, at least have it set up to add on. You can never have too much space.

Check out Heritage Building Systems. They're in your neck of the woods. I bought a steel building from them and put it up myself. Couldnt be happier with the product and the support. And the price was right too !

I put up a 32x 34x14 and wish I had gone bigger.

I have a 1930 Durant up on stands, a 98 C5 tucked in one corner, a 85 C4 on the hoist and my daily driver in the shop. The wifes car is outside ... :D . It's amazing how much space you lose to benches and crap around the outside walls.

If I need the hoist, I have to do some shuffling. In some cases, I can put the 85 right up and put another vehicle under it.

All my play toys are else where. The ATV, boat, lawnmower, dirt bike and pick up are spread through various out buildings.

Moral??? GO BIG!!!!

Ron ... :w

Whatever size you decide, double it. Ha Ha

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom