Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SLP Cold Air 'Claw"

T

tlong

I wanted to tell y'all my impression of the latest $220 mod for the plastic mistress.

I had the cut lid K&N. This came well packaged and fell onto the car in 15 minutes. It looks great, and comparing it to stock intake the opening is twice as tall going into the tube.

At idle there is a new high whining sound of air induction at the front. I think the exhaust note has a lower pitch, not so boatish (Corsa)

Let's ride! I gave it the full steam on an expressway entrance ramp next to a wall. The sound was like a turbo fan on a jet. A bit F-1. Really pronounced difference. Performance? I think it breathes easier at cruise based on throttle. The acceleration felt smoother, more even power on upper band.

Overall very happy as I doubted the seal on the previous filter mod, and it changed acceleration behaviour. Gotten less spending more.

Tim

billagroom said:
The more cold air in the better she runs.

It doesnt draw cold air, it draws air from the same place the stock lid does.

Cold vs. not as hot

Tempted to cut slots in the shroud under the three filters for true cold air, but did not. I drove for 45 minutes this morning and tested the temp on the housing and front of the filters and yes they were cold compared to the aft engine compartment. The physics are different for these filters vs. the cut lid deal.

The lid produces heat from the surrounding metal, and sucks warm air directly under the hood through flat filter top down. The passage is 1/2 inch tall on the plastic bottom part, screwing up the flow. I think the round filters get cooler air from the filter compartment all around.

This system would be the most valuable replacing the stock system. If you are spending $70 for a K&N and $65 for a pretty lid, go another $85 for this instead. No filter seal worries. I don't think it's a placebo effect based on exhaust note and sotp.

I'm thinking of getting one. Where did you purchase? Thanks, Guy

Go directly to SLP (Street Legal Performance). $219 I think. I got the last in stock at LM Performance for $219, free shipping. It arrived in 2 days.

I want to say again that I think it's a very good upgrade from stock. I upgraded from the cut lid K&N, so not as profound an improvement but worth it.

You would love it on your LT-4 for looks, sound and a bit more thrust. I don't want to go into the shroud at all, so this seems to be the best solution.

I, too, love it! The sealing of the filters is what inspired me to part with the bucks, also. The advantages are real. The initial demand for air when shoving the accelerator to the floor is met with a great deal more intake capacity from the 3 filters vs. the stock. To some people the difference is worth it, to others no mod is considered 'worth it'. To each his own.

Re: Cold vs. not as hot

tlong said:
Tempted to cut slots in the shroud under the three filters for true cold air, but did not. I drove for 45 minutes this morning and tested the temp on the housing and front of the filters and yes they were cold compared to the aft engine compartment. The physics are different for these filters vs. the cut lid deal.

I've had the claw for a couple of years now. After a year I cut the shroud and made a filter plate to stop larger debris from coming up. They get a really good dose of fresh air. No water ingestion problems. Does change the exhaust note too. Even on the stock exhaust system. A noticeable SOTP improvement.

Graham

Hmmmmmmmm, did all of you guys know that the surface area of those 3 K&Ns combined is EXACTLY the same as the stock panel filter!!!
More flow, huh .......

wx briefer said:
I, too, love it! The sealing of the filters is what inspired me to part with the bucks, also. The advantages are real. The initial demand for air when shoving the accelerator to the floor is met with a great deal more intake capacity from the 3 filters vs. the stock. To some people the difference is worth it, to others no mod is considered 'worth it'. To each his own.

Go with the Flow

Yes! Consider the design vs. filter area comparison. The stock set up is a 90* turn through 1/2 inch passage. The SLP is straight into the throttle body through 3 big round tubes with no restriction. The flow is very important to a gulping 350.

An engine is simply an air pump. Easier in, easier out, more power, bigger smile!

Thanks tlong. I'm getting it mostly because I like the way it looks. If I get a few HP out of it that is a bonus. I have my corsa's sitting in the garage ready to be installed and I figure the claw would compliment them nicely. I wish I could find a claw in chrome, that would really be sweet. Guy

I dont hear any difference. Even when I had a stock exhaust. Is this sucking sound at wide open?

I had a little FIAT that was as loud as the pipe, with an after market filter setup, but not my vette.

I didn't hear a real difference either, but the look is nice and I did prove to myself at the track that it helped a little. Maybe no advantage over cut lid, who knows.

Guy,
I got mine from SLP--he's right--and next Spring, we can park next to each other at the show!

Andy, I agree , probably no improvement over a cut lid, I just like the look. Looking forward to seeing you and your car next year at the show. I was going to go over a friends house and install my Corsa exhaust but it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon w/ all of this white stuff outside. Later, Guy

The stock set up is a 90* turn through 1/2 inch passage.

Actually, the stock setup has a 180 degree turn, because the stock cover has a shroud that is only open at the top/back.

Lew

DIY Induction

I like the SLP idea, but the inventor in me says a carbon fiber setup with a one piece big K&N oval filter including a smooth bore from the MAF to TB would be a killer mod. No heat sink, no obstruction. Just add a TB Airfoil and you're in the 12s.

It would look great in carbon fiber like the C5 aftermarket. Or you could really rice it up with neon strobe or flames or matching body color choices! How cool to see a red induction on an LT4 with red smoothies. Show winner. I'm off to the Patent Office.

I am amazed by the lack of aftermarket intakes for these cars. I owned an Impala SS prior to purchasing my Corvette, and there were at least a dozen or so different intakes available for the Impala SS. Some of them were quite creative.

Lew

Re: DIY Induction

tlong said:
I like the SLP idea, but the inventor in me says a carbon fiber setup with a one piece big K&N oval filter including a smooth bore from the MAF to TB would be a killer mod. No heat sink, no obstruction. Just add a TB Airfoil and you're in the 12s.

It would look great in carbon fiber like the C5 aftermarket. Or you could really rice it up with neon strobe or flames or matching body color choices! How cool to see a red induction on an LT4 with red smoothies. Show winner. I'm off to the Patent Office.

Do you have a drawing??? ;)

:upthumbs

lew said:
I am amazed by the lack of aftermarket intakes for these cars. I owned an Impala SS prior to purchasing my Corvette, and there were at least a dozen or so different intakes available for the Impala SS. Some of them were quite creative.

Lew

Lew,

I think the reason for that is because the stock intakes are quite good already. The performance ones do give a nice increase in what they're bought for; but spending too much money for not that much of an increase wouldn't make sense for a manufacturer to produce.

I also went from open-top airbox w/panel K&N to the SLP "Claw"

...and am very happy with the new set-up. Like a couple of posters above I didn't like the kludgy way the K&N was designed to fit in the stock airbox, with the included foam strips and grease that K&N requires you to use in conjunction with the installation. I had little confidence in the long-term airtight integrity of this system so I took it out after a couple days. I especially didn't care for the way the foam strips were unevenly compressed around the periphery of the airbox, made me nervous.

I noticed an immediate SOTP improvement with the Claw. The instructions left something to be desired though, I found it much easier to screw everything together off the car- filters to the SLP plenum, then plenum to the TB duct, then the whole thing to the motor. I also jammed a MADVET airfoil in the TBI duct at the same time ($50.) while I was at it.

A worthwhile expenditure IMO.

Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom