Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Small Block vs. Big Block

Stingray74CC

Corvette
Black Cherry 1969 Stingray
I'm doing research on the major differences and developments b/w the small block and big block GM engines. The 396 and 402 are the engines I would like to compare but any history would be great. Can anyone point me to some articles concerning this? Thanks for the help.

Not sure exactly what it is that you want to compare between them, but the 402 was simply a .030"-over 396.
:beer

there's an instance of my lack of knowledge

Basically I'm trying to compare the differences (major and minor) b/w a big block and small block. If there aren't many, what are advantages. I'm looking for sources of information. Surprisingly, I'm having a tough time locating info on GM big block engines.

Anthony,

Looking to do a project?

larger displacement engines will generate more HP. they also weigh more, which may not be the best choice for a specific application. drag racing a bb will win everything else being equal. for autox a sb with fewer horses would give better balance and better times

This may lead to a future project but for now...

For now it's just a presentation in my Engine's course. I may use this info later to decide when I do build my own beast but until then I'll have to dream.

BB vs BB

Anthony, You are comparing the same block. The chevy small block ranges from (265?) 283 to 400 C.I.D. The BB were 396, 427 and 454.
Gary

"There is no replacement for displacement." :D

You should start out with that. :) I shouldn't say that though, because I do have a small block (350) in my Vette. ;)

TR

grumpyvette

Thanks for the info. The sites are very helpful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom