Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Small problem

Havachat9

Corvette
1976 corvette
I have a 76 corvette stingray. The problem is when I switch the wipers on they go flat out (or fast). I then turn it off but instead of turning off it bawks so to speak. It doesn't stop at all unless you shut the car down. Could it be that the switch has had it? hmm

I think that's a pretty good assumption. The switch in most cases is a variable resistor to control the speed of the intermittent wipers, if it doesn't shut off, it is probably stuck open. Does it run on high the whole time, or does it slow down when you turn them off?

Craig

Yeah m8, flat out all the time. It won't even turn off. It trys to go then stops.

The wiper switch on all cars from 1968-1976 is basically just a grounding switch.

The wires colors are usually Dark Blue, Light Blue and black. Look at this diagram it might help. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_info.php?cPath=1984&products_id=24026 .

There is a simple test listed on the bottom the picture that will work for your wiper motor. It will tell you if the motor is defective or working properly. Wiper motors are hot at all time are what is termed a two field motor. (1963-1982). The basic function of the wiper switch is to complete the ground for either of the two fields.

In most cases, the wiper motor and the wiper switch are not the problem. Wiper issues are in most cases, related to the wires being cut or screwed with by a bubba mechanic.

This is not to say that the switch is not bad, and it’s real easy to pull out of the car and check. It surely is worth checking it out, then the wiper motor from the test and then…. We’ll then it would be a wire related issue and not either the switch or the motor.

Thanks Will. The post u sent me is for models 68-72 and schematics 70-72.I will check it out but is it basically the same setup throughout all the corvettes?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom