Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Smog Pump: Take and shove it somewhere!

krscholz

Corvette
75 Corvette Coupe, 383 Stroker
:L Hello friends, if you track my threads from several months ago I discussed taking off the my smog pump and replacing the Cat with 2 1/4" dual exhaust just like the good ole days. Here it is nearly a year later and I can say that my car is running great and the Magnaflows running out of the rear give the car a nice hum. You don't need to do any modifications to the timing or carburetor as I heard by taking off the smog pump. Just install the dual exhaust and listen to the roar. Although, I haven't measured but I believe the horsepower seems better. If you’re worried about smog testing your car, check first with your state to see if you’re exempt due to the age of your car. Corevtter Central had the best deal I found.

How did the driver side pipe fit from the cross member to the rearend? Does it hang lower than the pass side? Are you satisfied with the fit?

Some believe the air pumps parasitic loss is just 1/4 of a hp.

I purchased a set of pipes from Corvette Central. They were sold as an "off road" system to get around any Federal emission restrictions. I didn't need to do much to install the pipes on the car - just floor jacks, a socket set and a few hours of time. The pipes fit perfectly.

Alteration Alert

The boys at NCRS are going to be very disappointed in you.;LOL
Remo:cool

So I guess the '75s still had the cross member w/ two holes for exhaust pipes in it. :confused

'Us boys' in the NCRS are always saddened to see labour hours wasted on removing and throwing away innocuous components like smog pumps.
I didn't just throw it away. It's in a box stored somewhere safe. In the mean time: roar!

I have the one sided trans cross member to contend with (which I know Corvette Central has the "off-road" work-around pipes thanksfully) but the main thing is the air sensor from the Cat to deal with.

I've heard of heated air sensors but not sure how the '82 ECM will deal with it.

I plan to leave the smog pump in place as long as it functions properly, but if it goes out I won't replace it. I like all the original parts on the car, it adds to the stock class while at the car shows.

I didn't just throw it away. It's in a box stored somewhere safe. In the mean time: roar!

Good. I recommend keeping it with the car, boxed or whatever. But if you consider parting with it - don't toss it - be sure and sell it for an arm and a leg - it's worth at least that much to some in the NCRS for example. :)

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom