Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Some Show advice

C3L81

Corvette
1981 White vette 24k mi
Hey Folks. This spring/summer will be my first year attending shows. I have some questions and seek any advice. First off modifications. Which ones seperate you from Original class to modified? If I was to put on a aftermarket exhaust say a borla or Flowmaster too add some sound and a small amount of Horsepower would this effect Judging or put me in another class? What about a new Therm, and Chip? (everything is stock atm)

Is original window stickers, Owners manuals, Dealer Brochures, Etc a big Difference in Judging? If so how should I show them? Just hand them to the judge and say here.? Or do some of you put them in a binder or Photo album?

Well im drawing a blank on what else I wanted to ask, If I think of anything else Ill post here. Just any overall show advice is welcomed.

Randy,

There are many different kinds of shows, and they differ from region to region. I'd post that in the appropriate regional section of CAC as there are folks in your part of the country who could be of much help, I'm sure.

Good luck in the shows!

Elaine

Randy....Evening....Shows are an interesting opportunity to meet new folks, share common interests and have a good time. Depends how seriously you want to show your car......Shows can be broken down as well into NCCC juding, Peoples choice etc.....NCCC has always been a "cleaning contest". Granted, your car has to be pristine for these shows, all has to be in place etc....Friend of mine was deducted 1 point at Carlisle this past year for having a DEAD fly in his headlight area...something he never saw...It gets that crazy..

or the regular Peoples choice, where people vote for their best car.

Mods? Heck if you bought new rims, your in a custom class right away!!! I have a mod or two on both of my cars...Ask any ? you would like..

Yes, put all your material in a binder. Have a tray table or something similat and put the binder on the table. Make sure you duct tape the legs down, in case someone knocks it over!! Always think the worse and take precautions. You can place a 1 page writeup on your windshield as well...

Good Luck!!

Andy

C3L81 said:
Hey Folks. This spring/summer will be my first year attending shows. I have some questions and seek any advice. First off modifications. Which ones seperate you from Original class to modified? If I was to put on a aftermarket exhaust say a borla or Flowmaster too add some sound and a small amount of Horsepower would this effect Judging or put me in another class? What about a new Therm, and Chip? (everything is stock atm)

Is original window stickers, Owners manuals, Dealer Brochures, Etc a big Difference in Judging? If so how should I show them? Just hand them to the judge and say here.? Or do some of you put them in a binder or Photo album?

Well im drawing a blank on what else I wanted to ask, If I think of anything else Ill post here. Just any overall show advice is welcomed.

I go to quite a few shows throughout the year in ohio. The shows I go to are usually just cruises, where there really isn't stock vs custom classes. We just typically go out for fun and to drive.

Randy..... shows and classes at each show will vary depending on how many cars are expected to show up, what classes the show sponsor has judges for and whether the show has been registered as a NCCC show (for points accumulation for the owner/club). Most shows set up by NCCC Corvette Clubs are sanctioned, but not necessarily. I have judged a number of shows over the years and these are the breaks as I remember them. I'm sure if I miss something, someone will pipe in and correct me.

The general breakdown of shows:

Concours: usually broken down into classes C1, C2, ...etc.
In the class the cars must be as close to factory perfect as possible. And I mean PERFECT! EVERYTHING must be as delivered from the factory, even so much as having the owners manual in the proper place. No sunglasses, papers, dirt, dog hairs,...... NOTHING. Even a smudge on the windshield is cause for points deductions. Separate judges (if possible) will judge the Exterior, Interior and engine bay separately. points taken off and totaled up from all the judges.

Mod's: these classes can vary somewhat and I'm not sure of the exact number of mod's before the classes change. Mod's can be as simple as a color change, new rims, aftermarket radio, ...etc. Ext, int and engine bay here again too.

Wash and Show: Basically clear'er up and hope for the best. generally it's exterior and interior only as these cars are more often daily drivers.

People's Choice, Celebrity Choice: the fickle choice of the judges or public. Just for fun.

There are often more breakdowns than this depending on the size of the show. Also not unusual to see breaks within the generation (i.e. C3's), Sometimes if there are enough cars showing there will be a 68-72 break, 73-77 and 78-82. Sometimes you're up against all 68-82 C3's.

The point system starts at 100 points. When you arrive at a sanctioned show you will have your car "tech'd" in. Points will be taken off for (ex: horn doesn't work, or a tail light is out, ...etc). Then another judge will classify your car as I listed above. You have the choice of telling them what class you want to be judged in. Do understand that show judging is and can be very subjective especially in the Wash and Show and Peoples Choice categories. Concours levels are more technically precise but still it's people judging cars. Club preference is another "subjective" issue. And you will find that many of the people showing their cars are VERY passionate about them and their condition. It's their hobby and sometimes they are not happy about getting points taken off.

Also you will kill of an entire day showing your car in sanctioed events. usually the gate opens at 7:00ish. Rags down at 11:00a and judging begins. Depending again on the size of the show it might not be until 3-4:00pm before results are anounced.

If you've never done a show before I would recommend a Wash and Show category first. Learn what judges are looking for, see what other owners are doing and decide how passionate you want to be about it.

Good Luck............. nut

Randy...Lots of info. below for yu. Their is also a "Cuastom" class at the majority of shows I attend as well.You may run across that..

Andy

C3L81 said:

Randy: All of the above...I show primarily at local shows and have found that sometimes you can dictate the class you want to be placed in, others they choose for you and give you a number/letter based on Corvette, custom, stock, and sometimes you compete against the years category in which your car falls, example '75 to present. Sometimes there is no Vette class and you compete against anyone in the same year class as indicated earlier. All are for fun and a trophy/plaque for top 2-3 places. The fun goes out of it when the owner of a '35 custom street rod chooses to be in the '35 class versus the custom class so that the car can win a trophy. Vette owners do the same thing, so you just have to be willing to be truthful and not be there just to win trophies. Go to a couple of shows without the Vette to get the feel for what is being done or just jump in and try your hand at it!

Rules are available through the International Show Car Assn for a membership fee that will give you what they are looking for.

Good luck! Cya on the road, Marv.

Most shows I attend have a Vette class.If a midyear or solid axle(in any condition)shows up,you will have no chance of winning anyway.Just go and have a good time and meet new people.

C3L81 said:

Hey Randy, I'm from Worcester as well. Good luck at the shows this year! -John

sharkcar71 said:
Most shows I attend have a Vette class.If a midyear or solid axle(in any condition)shows up,you will have no chance of winning anyway.Just go and have a good time and meet new people.

sorry, I'll disagree with that!
I have what I think is a pretty decent condition '65 C2. My friend Andy (also aanother CAC member plus a fellow vette club member) has a '76 C3 and a '79 C3. We go to a lot of the same shows together and i'll tell you that it's VERY rare if he leaves without a trophy and it's even more rare if I ever leave with one!
I don't care about the trophies, I just go for fun anyway, but his C3's almost always "beats" my C2 at shows so just because a C1 or C2 shows up doesn't mean a thing.

Hey Randy, I'm from Worcester as well. Good luck at the shows this year! -John

Hey John! How is the Woo?! God I miss home, but hey...its cheap as hell out here. I bought my house for basicley a dollar a square foot. Big difference in cost of living in this area then in Mass. Still a devoted fan of our sports teams. All the family and friends are there, but I dont miss the taxes and Im not coming back anytime soon. thanks everyone for allt he tips, keep them coming

I hear ya on the cost of living, Randy. A lot of my co-workers are from Ohio...guys who attended the University of Cincy, and when they get sick of the taxes, they sell their houses here, move back home, and rub it in our faces by sending pics of their new homes which are twice as nice, for half the price!

Things are good here....heard on the radio this morning that we're missing the Nor' easter they were predicting. Hey, what part of Worcester you from?
I was born and raised on Grafton Hill, and still live there. -John

I hear ya on the cost of living, Randy. A lot of my co-workers are from Ohio...guys who attended the University of Cincy, and when they get sick of the taxes, they sell their houses here, move back home, and rub it in our faces by sending pics of their new homes which are twice as nice, for half the price!

Things are good here....heard on the radio this morning that we're missing the Nor' easter they were predicting. Hey, what part of Worcester you from?
I was born and raised on Grafton Hill, and still live there. -John

Same area, Anderson ave, off of hamilton st.

sharkcar71 said:
Hey Barry,must be something about the Maroon Paint our cars are painted.

maybe. i guess because they are not bright red nobody pays attention to them.
In Andy's case, his '76 is bright yellow so you CAN'T miss his car and his '79 is a heavily modified Greenwood Daytona with lambo doors so again it gets tons of attention.

my '65 is just a Milano Maroon so I guess I blend into the background too much :)

i don't care, I just go for fun anyway!

C3L81 said:
Same area, Anderson ave, off of hamilton st.

I'm only (was only) a couple of streets away from you. I live on Middlesex Ave.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom