Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sometimes It Starts Sometimes Not

mojorising

Corvette
1992 lt1
92 lt1 GOT MY FIRST VETTE A YEAR AGO I LOVE IT.. HERES MY PROBLEM. IT USUALLY STARTS WITH OUT A PROBLEM .THEN I CAN TRY AND START IT AND NOTHING . i HAVE FULL POWER, WINDOWS RADIO ETC. ALL WORK. ALL MECH. SAY THEY DONT SEE ANYTHING WRONG. ONE GUY SAY IT MIGHT BE IN THE IGNITION BUT NOT SURE SAYS THATS WHERE HE WOULD START. i DONT MIND PUTTING MONEY IN THE CAR BUT IT SEEMS LIKE TRIAL AND ERROR.ANY SUGGESTIONS.TO NERVOUS TO TAKE CAR ON TRIPS

I don't have an LT1 car, but I would probably say it is the optispark. Since your car is somewhat older the optis in later cars tend to go bad. I am sure someone will come along with better info then mine. Good luck.

When was it tuned up last? Plugs, wires fuel filter, air filter. I would check these things first then proceed to the opti. If you replace the opti it would pay to do these things anyway. An LT1 should fire up immeadiately when everything is correct.

mojorising said:
.THEN I CAN TRY AND START IT AND NOTHING .

When you say nothing does this mean the starter doesn't engage or does it turn the motor and nothing. Thought i would ask i had a similar promblem if the starter does nothing.

cfour has a very good point. If you turn the key and the starter engages and turns the engine over, that could mean either an ignition problem or a fuel supply problem. Does the car run smoothly with no hesitation when it does start? If so, that might eliminate a problem with the opti spark. It's always a good idea to try the simplier and less expensive things first.
If the starter does not engage when you turn the key, you might suspect either the starter/solenoid itself, ignition switch, or reverse lockout switch.
Is it an auto or stick? If auto, make sure the shifter is fully in park - try moving the shifter a little the next time it doesn't start. Maybe it needs adjustment?
If a stick, make sure the you are in neutral and the clutch is FULLY depressed.
Good luck. Keep us posted and please let us know when you find the problem.
Terry

not starting

Does it try to turn over? if it does'nt could be the vats ( security) My '86
had the same problem and it had to have the ignition (key) part replaced.
Have not had a problem since.

:w Jamm'in Jeff

starter does nothing no sound at all i do have full power from the battery thanks

mojorising said:
starter does nothing no sound at all i do have full power from the battery thanks

Ok then this story might find you a solution. First is there a fuse block of very big plugin fuses on the driver side behind the battery or beside it directly under the hood latch? Reason i ask is i have a 93 i believe yours is a 92, so not sure if we are the same. If we are then here's my story and it's totally true. Check the fuse for the ing1 and ing2 mine was ing1 i believe and because i drilled the hood latch pails so the water would drain preventing them from rusting. I did not however install drain tubes so the water ran on to this fuse block and over time corroded the contacts enough to prevent conductivity. Hence power to all element except to energize the starter. Give this a look it is at least worth it for a 2.00 fuse. My mechanic took this fuse out and cleaned it and put back in and i was on my way... Try it and keep us posted...

dosent turn over at all .one mech. says might be the computer chip not reading correctly he wants to start there thanks

mojorising said:
dosent turn over at all .one mech. says might be the computer chip not reading correctly he wants to start there thanks

Just an update there is two additional maxi- fuse blocks (Fuse & Ciruit Breaker)
Located on the wheel house near the battery. One is intergrated to the forward Lamp harness and the other is integrated to the ECM-Engine harness hence the computer your mech speaks of, there's two 60amp fuses at location 6 & 7 which if either ciruit is open would cause your exact problem. Not trying to say you haven't checked this just want to help a fellow Vette guy out. Hope it works out for you,,

How about ground wires? A loose connection could cause this. Or perhaps a bad solenoid. My trans am wouldn't start after I had warmed it up. The solenoid would get hot, and leave me stranded. I cannot believe it is a computer problem. I would start with the easiest, cheapest solution. Going into the computer is not that option.

I would check the plunger for the drivers door.

Open the door and see if it is stuck in.
I would use your key and unlock all the doors by hand.
Sounds to me like the security system.
Also check the alt wire on the drivers side of engine to see if wires are ok on alt.

Im1ru2 said:
Does it try to turn over? if it does'nt could be the vats ( security) My '86
had the same problem and it had to have the ignition (key) part replaced.
Have not had a problem since.

:w Jamm'in Jeff

I had the same thing happen on 2 previous chevys. The tiny chip in the key stopped working right and this same problem happened.(twice)

redc4corvette said:
Also check the alt wire on the drivers side of engine to see if wires are ok on alt.

Definitely run down your wiring, checking for looseness. Might want to check the wiring to the starter. Dunno, just one fairly new vette owner to another. Nice choice in year by the way :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom