Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sound insulation

ezover

Corvette
2000 Navy Rag top
I just installed is Frost King 1/8 inch self adhesive foam in the trunk of my 2000 vert. Well worth the trouble. road noise is noticably reduced in freeway driving. It took about 6 -7 hours to do.

cool.:cool what was the most difficult part? carpet removal?

Have any info on this product ? Not familiar with it.
Plus my interior is torn out for a stereo update so this is a great time to consider this

Sorry, the url for Home depo is incomplete. Once you get to the HD page, click on F for frost king and it will take you to the right product. approx. $15 per roll.

dennis

I took the rear wheel wells off and stuffed house insulation around the well and reinstalled the cover panels. I also changed to Firestone run flats and could not beleave the difference. I also painted the calipers using Hi Temp engine enamel from Auto Zone, looks great.

6 or 7 hrs??

6 or 7 hrs i'm sorry that's just anal I'll bet your female riding buddy nagged you in to it.I've owned 3 c5's one vert and never thought the noise was a problem.if gm thought it was they would have done something by 04. next time buy a beemer they are real quiet.

I've got to agree, especially on concrete the run flats are just plain loud. Supercars are much better. I love the sound of a good car stereo, muscle car or exotic exhaust, even cam chains, intake and turbo wastegates, but tire road noise sucks. Some people can hear it and others can't, that's cool. I can hear it in my C5, my 18 year old son agrees, my 20 year old son doesn't. My car...sound deadening is going in.

Cheers,
Carmen

Went to Home Depot and couldn't find the Frost King stuff, but got a got a roll of insulation bubblewrap with heavy foil on both sides instead for $16. Put it in my C4 when I had the carpet out for my roll bar install. Just used some double sided tape in a few spots to tack it in place. It form fitted to all the curves and stayed in place. Only used half the roll and gave the other to one of guys helping me for his Vette. Bottom line, it cut the sound level in half.

Bubblewrap :confused

Hope it is in a location where it wont get popped !

Its pretty heavy duty stuff. In in the floor area, the carpet has a real thick and dense rubberlike material so I don't think it will pop because the loads are spread pretty well.

the FK product is in the Heating/AC section; not the home insulation area. I've seen it at both Lowes and Home Depot. The key to any of these products is that they are adhesive backed - bonding to the surface is the most effective way to lower the resonant frequency.

The FK is on the less -dense scale of all the sound dampening products . Because of that... it is inexpensive and light weight.

But, I wouldn't use it on a car that had a high powered aftermarket stereo or a loud exhaust. The FK is not dense enough for those applications unless you double layer it. And if you need to double layer, you might as well buy the heavier - more expensive Dynomat, Cascade, or Brownbread products.

foilfoamsm.jpg

I used Cascade V1 which is thinner than Dynamat, then glued down a layer of Reflectix(the foil covered bubble wrap insulation material available at Home Depot). This along with replacing the run-craps reduced interior noise substantially.

then glued down a layer of Reflectix(the foil covered bubble wrap insulation material available at Home Depot).
the reflectix works great as a heat barrier, and should work as a dampener if glued down (as you described).

I have a local hilly back road that has a very rough surface for rain traction. It sounds like whales singing at 40mph in my car. LOL I tried the frost king stuff and it still sounds like muffled whales. I just put in a layer of Second Skin Audio deamplifier. It's a thin self adhesive butyl layer with metalized backing audio deadener product similar to Brown Bread or the newer Dynamats. I then top coated it with Quiet Car liquid. I'm waiting for the weather to break here in the NE to try it.

I just spent 5 hours putting in the Cascade VB-2HD sound dampener stuff. With the nice hot sun shining into the trunk,it made the sheet much more flexible. The stuff is about 1/8" thick, and has a plastic surface which just about matches the vette's plastic surface. Took awhile too "form" the stuff into the ribbed areas, but boy! Is it worth it!

I'm not completely finished, because I just ordered two more 14 sq ft sheets to do the seat wells and seat back areas next time. ( I only ordered two sheets the first time to do the trunk and see what improvements I got in sound deadening.)

To me it was decidedly worthwhile and worth the cost. You can actually hear a normal conversation at freeway speeds! It is that noticeable!

Cascade's VB-2HD is pretty stiff, so working with it in the sun is the best way to go. And I like that it matches the base interior color, too.

After I get the seat compartment done, I will probably order a sheet of the sound deadening 1/4" stuff with the lead sheet in between to put in place of the shredded fiber stuff that's glued to the carpet in the trunk.

Mike

Using a heat gun makes it much easier to install and form Cascade or Dynamat

Well, I actually got a heat gun out, but the cord wasn't quite long enough to reach the trunk, and I didn't want the 75 foot extension cord. So I just did the work in the sun.

Actually, the heat gun probably would work well now, in that the plastic would cool right away, setting the form that was pressed into the ribs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom