Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Soundproofing Mod

I bought a 50 ft roll from JC Whitney @ $80 and did the back of my C5 some time ago, but If I had known about the exotic Vette kit I might have considered it. The stuff I used didn't have adhesive on it so I used construction adhesive and aluminum tape also from JCW I still have enough left over for a few others :L

This is an outstanding link; very instructive and detailed.
[COLOR="Blue"][U][B]http://mikemerc.../U][/COLOR]] [COLOR="Black"]Bill :w [/COLOR]

I can see where this kit would be great for most vettes. However having a convertible I wonder how much good it would do. Has anyone here done the sound insulation on a ragtop? Thanks.

I would think it still would deaden the road noise some. Not that I don't think it is a good idea to do this but I have a few other things I want to do first. This is something I would do if I run out of other things to do. I know Vettes are a little noisy but nothing I can't live with. But like I said this was a good descriptive link to look at for future things to do.

Bill

I can see where this kit would be great for most vettes. However having a convertible I wonder how much good it would do. Has anyone here done the sound insulation on a ragtop? Thanks.

I don't have a ragtop, but I did install the ExoticVette kit in my coupe. One benefit that you vert owners can appreciate, is the heat from the console is reduced. It still gets warm, but not anything like stock.

I just started installing the ExoticVette insulation kit in the back of the C5 and found what has to be a major source of noise intrusion into the cabin: the vent behind the driver side wheelwell. I assume this is to allow air to escape similar to the old AstroVentilation and prevent wind whistles. Still, the only thing between the C5 driver and the road surface is a 1/16" piece of rubber.

Is there a downside to blocking this vent? Have any of you guys tried covering it with a sheet of the insulation?

Thanx
Jim

I just started installing the ExoticVette insulation kit in the back of the C5 and found what has to be a major source of noise intrusion into the cabin: the vent behind the driver side wheelwell. I assume this is to allow air to escape similar to the old AstroVentilation and prevent wind whistles. Still, the only thing between the C5 driver and the road surface is a 1/16" piece of rubber.

Is there a downside to blocking this vent? Have any of you guys tried covering it with a sheet of the insulation?

Thanx
Jim

That vent allows air to escape when you close the doors or the hatch. It could make the hatch difficult to close if you block that. I read a magazine article where they applied the soundproofing, and the authors said that the greatest amount of noise was coming through the bulkhead behind the seats. That would match my experience, as well.
Also Jim. :D

Thanks for the info. I'll skip blocking it.

I sure hope this insulation actually helps, or the RunCraps are going to be history very soon!

Thanks for the info. I'll skip blocking it.

I sure hope this insulation actually helps, or the RunCraps are going to be history very soon!

I think you will be surprised. I installed soundproofing and a partition in my Z06. It was difficult to conduct a conversation in the car on worn road surfaces before, but now normal conversation is easy.

Thanx
Jim

Originally Posted by RoadReady

Thanx
Jim

That vent allows air to escape when you close the doors or the hatch.

I assumed there was a vent somewhere for the air to escape when you close the doors or hatch but I still have to leave one of the doors open to close the hatch anyway. Maybe this vent was put in to allow the air to escape when closing the doors but it does not work very well for closing the hatch.

Just my $0.02 worth for what it's worth, may try this sound proofing one of these days but mine doesn't seem to be that bad and I have run flats.

Bill :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom