Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Source for fender flares?

• Thread starter Thread starter Last Ride
  • Start date Start date
:L

Well no one else is brave enough to point it out so I guess I might aswell

and fit the car about as nice as me in high heels!

I'm not sure if I know where your coming from. Perhaps you could show us a few snaps of you in heels and let us judge for ourselves ;LOL

Bill

69MyWay, thanks for the pieces of advice. By the way, your car looks incredible. The black, the chrome, what more can I say? :_rock

Looking at your pic, I noticed your tires are much closer to the fenders than mine. How did you get around the clearance issues? Maybe that's what I love about yours that mine is "missing". I could also add a bit more rubber back there, but I'm already running 275's on the rear... they say bigger is better right? Of course they also say less is more ;shrug You must be running 315's I'd guess.

Sly

Sly,

What size wheels are those 275's on? My car has just had flares added, and will be going in for paint this week. Originally I thought about doing 17 x 12's with 335's in the back, but since I mainly use the car for autocross, I decided to postpone the big wheels, and use one of my sets of 15 x 10's. That way all I'd need to buy if I wanted to street drive it were some BFG T/A radials, which aren't that expensive at all. I was going to go with a 295/50 in the back, and 275/50 in front.

Chris

Oh mama...

That picture makes my heart ache... ;worship Absolute Perfection!

E-mail or call gary Gruhala at Gruahla Enterprises- your flares will come from Eckler's but you receive a discount. Bought mine there and received excellent service from Gary.

69_Dream said:
I noticed your tires are much closer to the fenders than mine. How did you get around the clearance issues? .

Sly

Thanks for the compliments.

Here are the stats.

Front 18x9.5 on 4.5" back space--no rubbing, no problems
Rear 18x12 on 5" back space--no rubbing, no problems.

I could have gone with a 4" back space up front and pushed them out more towards the outside, and 4.5 or 4" on the rear for even more outward push.

However, I am happy with the current stance and fit.

Tires/wheels will make or break a car...I don't care if it is a Viper or a Z06, or a PT Cruiser. I notice most people that "mess up" on a car do it with the rims. Opinions are strong againts large on huge rims for these old classics, but once you put them on, you will never want to go back no matter what the few nah sayers will say.

Get with my pals at www.hvydeez.com for some cool looking styles and quotes on full wheel package deals. The 12" hoops will set you back a lot of $$$, but I can tell you, there is NOTHING like it when you see the car from behind.

You may want to consider going 11" and sitting it on a pure 4" back space. That would fill out the well, and give you more wheel than you have now. The 11" hoops are more available at a much cheaper price.

69MyWay said:
Tires/wheels will make or break a car...I don't care if it is a Viper or a Z06, or a PT Cruiser. I notice most people that "mess up" on a car do it with the rims. Opinions are strong againts large on huge rims for these old classics, but once you put them on, you will never want to go back no matter what the few nah sayers will say.

Couldn't agree more........even on the ol' C2's. Just as long as you've got the horsepower to back up that agressive look. ;)

1963Corvette-MikeDonohue.jpg

1965Corvette-flares-group.jpg

smiley-cone-head.gif

I have 9.5's on the rear, but I'm not sure about the switch back to original. Sure I could go the other way too, as described, stick a couple 11 or 12 inchers back there on 17 or 19 inch rims... not sure :confused

I definately wouldn't go so far as to refer to myself as a purist, but I respect and admire originality. I'm an enigma :)

I think if I was given an original car, I wouldn't make major mods, leave the wheelwells alone. Given the flares my car's been given, I will probably go the 11" route, 5" back space stated by 69MyWay. I really like your car's stance. Again, just to repeat everyone and state the obvious... one sweet ride! I'm not sure about my spacing... looking at it I would guess 4 - 4.5" ;shrug - Thanks for the advice.

Sly

By the way, 67Heaven, I love that second pic, the one with all of them lined up. They all look so menacing. Best way I can describe it.

Tropic zone racing

Hey Chris why did you cut the body apart on the 71 vette?

Re: Tropic zone racing

M&W's72vette said:
Hey Chris why did you cut the body apart on the 71 vette?

That car had some serous rust problems in the bird cage, or body frame as I call it. You have to cut the floor, rockers, rear clip, firewall, and door jam trim out/off to change them out. It is a huge job, but when done,...you know no stone has been left un turned.

I need some big flares too for my 82. I don't want those mudflap design ones, I like the smooth ones that 69myway and 69_Dream have.

I need them to hide 31X16.50R-16LT Hoosiers (roughly 419/45/R16)

Anyone know of a good source?

yeah, but the problem is the rear flares for 78-82 is different. GM changed the hips a bit and the flares for the older years don't fit, that's my problem.

They do when you get creative.

After you have the basic flare, you simply work it into place and blend as desired.

If you look at his site, I worked those flares into his 71...which of course is a totally different fender from the 69 that they were originally designed for.

I see no reason why it can't be done on yours, plus it then becomes that much more unique.

yeah, I might just get some of those and go for it. I was looking at the site, an amazing job you did there on those flares. I like these flares much better than those where you replace the entire quarter panel. Those will definitely not fir because of the body curve.

What wheels are those? They look awesome (are they 3 piece mag center wheels?)

Thanks,

Marck

Twinnie said:
yeah, I might just get some of those and go for it. I was looking at the site, an amazing job you did there on those flares. I like these flares much better than those where you replace the entire quarter panel. Those will definitely not fir because of the body curve.

What wheels are those? They look awesome (are they 3 piece mag center wheels?)

Thanks,

Marck

Those are ultra light full race wheels built by a shop in Daytona Beach, Florida. You won't believe how light they are.

They are at least two piece wheels. The race shop builds them to any custom spec required.

They look really massive in person. His black on black with chrome and silver ceramic coat is going to be devistating looking coming down the road.

cool, I really like those wheels. I bought 16"x12" and 16"x11" modular mag wheels (3 piece) with an extra 2 sets of 10"rims and an extra wheel (just in case) and they're only like 16lbs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom