Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire cover, necessary?

J

jedi

Had a flat tire today. When I went to change it I found out my spare tire is shot. I took it out to replace it but I am thinking of leaving it off and removing the spare tire cover. Is there any imporant reason for the spare tire cover beyond holding the spare? Will it effect the car in anyway if I remove it and drive it around. I rarely drive in the rain and don't take it on long trips to places were I can't get a tow. It's a 1995 LT1. Advice or suggestions appreciated.
Jedi

Spare

The spare tire is part of the rear collision 'protection'. The cover is necessary to hold the tire in place.

Lots of C4 owners have removed the spare tire and spare tire holder.

Mike

Yeah, I recently removed spare tire and the cover is coming off next day off work.

The spare tire is part of the rear collision 'protection'. The cover is necessary to hold the tire in place.

jmccloud is correct. On the factory spare tire delete cars, an additional brace was in place instead of the spare tire and cover. It provided more rear end collision protection. If you want to remove the whole deal, go ahead.

This is what the Spare tire delete -option bracket looks like:
sparedeletevg4.jpg

The above posters are correct the wheel is part of the collision protection.
I still have the carrier but I removed the spare wheel about 7 years ago.
I made some custom brackets and mounted a 10 lb. Nitrous bottle on the tire carrier.
I did not want to drill holes in the floor and also needed the room in the back since I often have it full when going to shows.
While some think it is dangerous to remove the wheel I think that if you are hit from the rear that hard you old C-4 is going to go to the scrap yard wheel or no wheel
I posted pictures on Corvette forum back when I did it and several have copied my installation with no problems.
Anyone who goes to the track should remove the jack and wheel before going on the track this will lighten the car a good bit improving performance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom