Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spare tire lock disassembly/re-key

F

firefighter-C3

Anyone have any info or experience disassembling and re-keying a spare tire lock for an '80?
Searched the forums and nothing, I even "GOOGLED" it, found nothing about disassembling and re-keying.
Thanks,Jeff

My carrier and Tire are there but no lock, I saw in ecklers that you could by a lock for it, and that it was suppposed to have come with one from the factory. Was the lock supposed to match the door locks or was it a key all to itself? I assumed it matched the door lock thats why I didnt buy one yet.

Mine match the doors and alarm. Try Paragon if you have the key code numbers, they might be able to send you a match.

that it was suppposed to have come with one from the factory. quote]

They never came from the factory with spare tire locks....FYI

Spare tire lock

Bill - my 79 has a spare tire lock w/matching key. Does the info in this post mean that 79 was the last year they had keyed locks, as it seems to say that 80 & 81 did not have keyed locks? Ken

The NCRS 78-79 judging manual states that those years came with a lock and key. I can confirm for 79 as mine is original and I have owned since day 1. I took the spare down for the first time in 03 before going to NCRS Hershey, and found that I had quite a bit of work to do to get the lock mechanism off and freed up such that it would work properly again. I'm glad I never needed that spare!! To be certain, it looks like maybe others can confirm for 80 & 81.

Ken,I have the judging manual for the 80-82's...these year corvettes did not come with locks on the spare tire carriers....you can buy them,thru ecklers or wherever,but they are not factory.
I guess '79 was the last year for the spare tire locks.....

It usually takes some effort to get beyond the conflicting documentation that is out there, but the judging manuals are usually a very reliable source.
Looks like we have the correct info now ... Ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom