Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark plug gap

• Thread starter Thread starter secondchance
  • Start date Start date
S

secondchance

Spak plug gap

For those of you who run AC Delco Rapid fire #5, gapped at .035 (gap for 90 thru 92? FR2LS), ,045 (Recommended on the box of Rapidfire) or .050 (Recommended on the sticker on top of rad shroud on 94 ZR-1)?

I have mine gapped at .045 simply because as I recall, a few people had suggested that this was an ideal gap for an LT5. Is it wrong or is it right, I can't really say. I've been running this gap for quite a while and given the duty cycles that my ZR-1 experiences, I have not seen any adverse effects.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

I'm suprised. Of all people, I'd figured you would know the answer and precisely explain why!
Just kidding.
Wider the gap hotter the plug, right? Does this mean more prone for detonation? Anyone?

My two pence is that you should use the gap recommended in your owners manual or under-hood sticker unless you raise the compression or add forced induction in which case you would be lowering the gap. Too little gap can cause pre-ignition and detonation. Too much gap could cause misfires, fouling and loss of power and economy.

Well. Problem is that I think .050 settimg recommended for 94 was based on platinum tips that came with the car. I had a lot of problems w/ platinum tips and car runs much better w/ non-plt. Rapidfire.

I have the #5's in my 90 and acording to the service manual it states .035 now I have had a few guys say put it at .050 I say try it out and see what happens.

there are 2 diferent styles of the #5's one is in a blue box the other is in a red box one is pre gaped one says gap to your specs I got the later.....

Im not sure what to say I think mine is running fine right now but I may just pull them gap em to .050 and see what happens.

johnny

I have blue letter #5s, fluted tip. These came pre-gapped at .045. Seems to run fine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom