Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark Plug Wire Arrangement

cash's90

Corvette
1990 Charcoal Metallic Coupe
Does someone have a diagram for routing plug wires from the distributor to each plug? The PO of my stock L98 installed ribbed plastic covers (insulators) on the the right side wires and jambed the wires together in the "v" shaped clip outboard of the valve cover. I've always tried not to run plug wires parallel and in contact with one another. :confused

That's actually normal

for a L-98..... however there is a piece of sprial wrap on each of the wires as it runs thru that clip.. and DO NOT use the store bought type..it melts!
The GM stuff is heat resistant and works well.

I have the same setup in mine.

Vig!

I am pretty sure that is the way it came from the factory, I thought it was strange myself, but I did put them back the same way. I did one at a time and tied a piece of string to each and pulled it out then used the string to pull the new one back the same way. I was still a major pain the in butt.
Good luck.

hmm,

i got some clips with my wires,,, are those going to melt?

I havn't put them on yet

I replaced the wires and cured the random miss during idle and stumbling during heavy acceleration. It's a lot simpler to replace the wires on my 4 & 6 cylinder MGs.
I also pulled and regaped the Bosh platinum plugs which all looked great. I was surprised that none had any sign of fouling (based on the idle and stumbling problem).
The no. 2 plug was the toughest to remove. My way with a 3/8" ratchet, 1 1/2" extension, 3/8" "U" joint & plug socket worked but was not pretty. The upper "A" arm joint was the major interference. Anyone have a better way?
:beer

hmm, what year of corvette you got

on my 85 "L98 engine"
i don't have to much of a problem with the number 2
i create new cuss words all the time for the number 8 though

Need spark plug wiring diagram

I win the bonehead of the week award. changed plugs and wires on my 85 c4, and decided to check the distributor, took all the wires off and realized that my haynes manual didn't say where to put them back. can anyone help? email would be appreciateed. thanks, anthony

No Bosch!

Chevy guys here universally recommend AGAINST Bosch platinum plugs in a Chevy. I took mine out, too. Electrode is awfully small.

:w

Setting timing/ find #1 hole

So when things a perfect the #1 plug wire will be facing the #1 hole....

To check this

Pull the #1 plug

Look on the harmonic balancer for the TDC mark, get some white grease pencil or white paint or something to mark it.

Clean the IGN pointer on the timing chain cover.

Remove the POWER connector ( red wire ) off the side of the distrib cap, and the other connections ( tach ) and the 3 wire connector.

Remove the cap

Put your thumb over the #1 hole

Watch the ROTOR ( warning the next step will startle you...it's safe.. it just make you go WOAH!)

Have an assitant bump the motor over..... the compression will BLOW your thumb off the hole..note when you thumb gets blown... that the ROTOR is pointing at you!

Now keep bumping the engine back to the #1 position and VERIFY that the timing pointers line up down @ the crank.

{ note here.. if you have an AUTO car it will be DAMN near impossible to get it PERFECTLY back on the timing mark... if ALL the plugs are out you can get a breaker bar on the nose of the crank and turn it that way... DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE YOU CAN SNAP THE BOLT IN THE NOSE OF THE CRANK------ or--------- If it's a stick car you can rock the car in gear---------or----------
you assistant can apply EXTRA tension on the BELT and you can try to roll the engine with the ALT PULLEY NUT.}

AND

ONCE you get in the PROPER position stick a screwdriver down the #1 hole and make SURE the piston is at the top of the travel..that way you can check that the timing mark on the HARMONIC balancer has not slipped..... which happens from time to time !

Rotor still in the same place?, good!

Put the cap on... the terminal on the cap which is CLOSEST to the rotor position is NUMERO UNO!

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in CLOCKWISE order.

All back together?

Start it... does she run?

Whip out your timing light.....

Disconnect the timing connector, you gotta fish for this one.....

( a single Tan/Black wire [C-106] Drivers side of firewall between Master brake cylinder & wiper motor)

This will set an error code in the ECM... do not panic!

Disconnect the connector, start engine, check/set for 6deg BTDC.. and TADA your done like dinner!

Vig!

I remove the plastic shield by the upper A frame to get better access to #2 and 4. Makes the job much easier. All small block Chevy's have the same firing order. If you have another manual for a small block Chevy with a picture of the firing order it will be the same. My Hanes manual page 2A-1 sjows a diagram of the engine with #1 wire on the distributor marked. Then follow around the distributor cap clockwise, the order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 as shown in the book. Or just do like Vig said.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom