Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark plug wires and coil recommendations.

mylotcat

Corvette
2007 Silver MT Coupe; 2006 Trailblazer SS
I plan on replacing the stock plug wires this spring. Was thinking of using Magnacor. A friend at work recommended replacing the stock coil as well. He recommends MSD for both. Is it worth replacing the coil;shrug?

I agree with your friend.

Right now, I think MSD has the best wire and coil products available for the Gen 3 engine.

While I do not have the coils on my car, yet, I do have MSD Super Conductor plug wires.

Dave,

I think you are in for a shock. Literally.
You really should pull the covers off of your engine and take a look at the setup.
The plug wires are about 5" long and they go to the coils mounted above each plug. That's right, Coil(s). Each cylinder has one of its own and replacing them all is a very expensive proposition.
As for the MSD wires, they are the best. They make sets that you can cut and teminate yourself to fit exactly.
I have used the MSD Helicore wires and found them to be really nice, if you like blue.

Happy trails!

Pete.

Unless you have a highly modified engine or over 75000 miles on your car, you are wasting your money as you will not notice any benefit. Spend your your money on something else.

A set of pre made MSD wires for a C5 costs about $60 from Summit Racing. They are a bit larger and spiral wound for less resistance and are also a bit more heat resistant than stock. You didn’t mention plugs but the stock Delco’s have a reputation for loosing the platinum puck, so you might want to check. I'm running Bosch Platinum+4. As for the MSD C5 coils, well for $75 X 8 = $600, you really could make use of that money somewhere else. - C.

Save your money unless something is broken.

Before doing anything, you should check out http://www.magnecor.com
"Everything you always wanted to know about ignition wires but were afraid to ask!"
Armed with your knowledge of ignition wires and systems, you will be able to make a very intelligent decision.
I owned and operated a car & truck repair shop for over twenty years. If you have any particular question or are unclear about what you have read, please contact me via pm or email.
Good luck in your quest!
Save The Wave!

Well guy's, I don't see the need to spend that much on a set of wires for a stock car.. Go to Gmparts direct and get a set of Gm Racing wires. They are Red Wires made to fit. Save your self 20 bucks, and put it in you tank.

I have been running these wires on a sub 11 second car for 2 years and have never had a problem.

Just my .02 worth. But then everybody has their .02 worth don't they.:D

Ernie

Hmmm--this thread is getting interesting.

On a stock or near stock LS1/6, there is no performance need to change the coils. On the other hand, if the engine is modified in a manner which has increased dynamic cylinder pressure a bit, the LS1/6 coils have proven marginal in some racing applications. Some Gen 3 builders say that one type of truck engine coil actually is capible of more output.

That said, the MSD Gen 3 coil is not only capible of higher output, but it has a slightly different configuration which allows it to easily be used with an aftermarket ign. controller MSD is readying for market. With stock-type coils, that's not real easy. The MSD coils are also multiple-spark discharging at lower rpms. Again, that may be of value with modified engines, particularly ones with idle stability issues.

The advantage to a stock or near stock engine in MSD SuperConductors is again, modest at best. The big advantage of SuperConductors is they have quite a bit less resitance per length than do conventional ign. wires---even MSD entry-level "HeliCore" product. In spite of that less resistance, they provide a level of supression that usually is the same or higher than OE-type wires. Obviously, the technology to make wires that work that way costs more and that's reflected in 1) the higher price of the MSD wires and 2) GM's choice to not use that type of plug wire. Again, if the engine is modified in a manner that requires more ign. energy, then the first thing I'd put on the engine is Super Conductors because they allow even a stock coil to be capible of more energy at the plug.

As for spark plugs: it was said earlier that the OE ACDelco plugs tend to loose their platinum pads. While that was true in the early-to-mid-90s, during the first few years that product was available, it's not true now. Regretably, it took Delphi a couple of years to perfect the laser welding process used to bond the pads to the plug center and side electrodes. ACD double plats have been capible of good durability throughout the C5 years. It was the late C4 years where they were problematic. Of course, that issue is moot now because, starting with MY03, Corvettes no longer use platinum plugs.

As for the Bosch +4
LOL
(I always have to laugh that that design)
Anyone who buys those has been victimized by Bosch's admittedly excellent marketing and advertising.

First, a spark plug typically needs only one side electrode to work well. There are a few exceptions to that, but they are odd applications such as Mazda rotory engines and some aircraft engines. In fact, good igntion of the charge in the combustion chamber depends on swirl/turbulence in the mixture and easy/clear access to the spark. This is why racers use plug washers to turn the plug gap towards the intake valve. This is also why they cut-back and file-to-a-point the side electrodes. All this is done to get as much of the spark as possible in contact with the charge air.

Bosch's trendy Platinum Plus-4 does exactly the opposite of what's necessary for good ignition. It blocks the charge mixture's exposure to the spark with three extra ground electrodes that are totally unnecessary but, admittedly...look pretty darn shiny and sexy. Another problem with the Bosch and some other plugs sold for use in C5s, is: if the actual plug gap is not in the same place as is the OE plug, effective spark timing is changed. Move the plug gap back towards the combustion chamber wall and timing is retarded slightly.

The best plugs to run in a C5 which is driven normally are the Iridium-tipped stockers used after 03. If you run your car really hard or race it, you may need something colder and some of the Denso Iridium Power plugs are the way to go, there.

But...those Bosch +4s?
Someone ought to sell Jessica Simpson on using them as the basis for a line of jewelry.

I'm close to 80,000 miles and was planning on replaceing the wires and plugs; for my daily driver I should use stock from GM 03 C5 plugs and MSD wires. Sounds good to me I have used MSD and Taylor wires in the past on other cars.

vet346 said:
Save your self 20 bucks, and put it in you tank.

Won't even get him half a tank these days.:L

Bosch's trendy Platinum Plus-4 does exactly the opposite of what's necessary for good ignition. It blocks the charge mixture's exposure to the spark with three extra ground electrodes that are totally unnecessary but, admittedly...look pretty darn shiny and sexy. Another problem with the Bosch and some other plugs sold for use in C5s, is: if the actual plug gap is not in the same place as is the OE plug, effective spark timing is changed. Move the plug gap back towards the combustion chamber wall and timing is retarded slightly.
just wait until they come out with a plug with 4 center electrodes :L

VETTEX2 said:
just wait until they come out with a plug with 4 center electrodes :L

LOL

Dude....that would be pretty funny-looking, huh.

Any different requirements with a SC Motor?

lt4man said:
Before doing anything, you should check out http://www.magnecor.com
"Everything you always wanted to know about ignition wires but were afraid to ask!"
Armed with your knowledge of ignition wires and systems, you will be able to make a very intelligent decision.
I owned and operated a car & truck repair shop for over twenty years. If you have any particular question or are unclear about what you have read, please contact me via pm or email.
Good luck in your quest!
Save The Wave!

I have a LPE (Magnusson) Supercharged Engine - should I do anything different?

The Drakester said:
I have a LPE (Magnusson) Supercharged Engine - should I do anything different?

Unless something is acting up i wouldnt bother. Save yourself some cash. Gas prices are going up. As for Bosch i had them in my 66 impala. The plugs were terrible and they were making my car run extremely rough. I tookem out and threw in some Delcos no problems now.

Won't even get him half a tank these days.:L

Well at least he would have 20 to put in it.. not saying it would give him much but something is better than nothing.:D

Ernie

here is my dilema I am ready to change my plugs, bought new from GM dealer where right on the screen it says "caution do not change gap from .045" now my GM shop manual (the BIG red one) says to gap them at .060 which is correct?

The plugs are the new $8.00 jobs and have a tiny pointed electrode

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom