Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spark plug wires steel sleeves

c5 joe

Corvette
1998 light carmine
Hi again went with the 41-985 plugs and new wires msd 8.8 was wandering if i need to use the steel sleeves that came with the stock wires? 1998 c5 corvette what are they for any way heat or a ground ?? Iwant to thank C4C5 again for helping me and others with our spark plug choice:beer

Heat shields and I would recommend using them. I use red GM wires, not sure if MSD boots are the same and if they fit inside the shield. Did you end up changing your tune with the 985 plugs and after driving for a while please post on your experience with them. Regards, Zig.:w

Hi zig c4c5 says to use them for radio interfence ,no i did not reprogram as my dealer knows nothing about it. Iwill keep you posted on how she runs right now she is still in storage and i have a baby comming by april 12th so might be a while thanks for the help . MY dealership is looking to hire a master tech pretty scarry they do not have one! Ihad new tires put at tires plus and they broke one of my tire sensors and they paid for it butt my dealer told me he would have to reprogram pcm to reset them cost with- tire senser 760.00+tax so got the sensor and left the chevy dealer, Thank god i stopped by the caddy dealer he hit a few buttons and used a magnet and they worked again ,cost no charge they also gave me the magnet and tought me how to reset just in case ,so when she comes outta storage i will bring her in to the caddy dealer to see if they can perform the reprgram for the 985s

Congratulations on a soon to be a new addition to your family :beer.
$760 for a sensor, that is a crime!!! 98'ts use a more expensive sensor, it should run about $130, how can that dealer justify additional $630 for a 5 minute re-learn procedure?:mad.

Congratulations on a soon to be a new addition to your family :beer.
$760 for a sensor, that is a crime!!! 98'ts use a more expensive sensor, it should run about $130, how can that dealer justify additional $630 for a 5 minute re-learn procedure?:mad.
the tire dealer paid 125.00 for the sensor the rest as the service manager said to me was he would have to reprogram my sensors through the pcm ,i told HIM i would live with the dash warning when i was heading home i STOPPED the caddy dealer my father delt with , the mechanic said he heard they have been pulling that on other vette owners i guess they take us as stupid and i was(i did not know how to reset them) but they did not get me!! ABIG THANKS TO NAPOLTON CADDY they did not even charge and even showed me how to relearn the sensors and gave me the magnet he (JOHN) USED and a big thank you on the congrats i cant wait :eek:hnoes

I reused the metal heat protectors when I installed my new 8.5mm MSD wires a year ago........then added my old KoolSox over all of that for more protection! I'm ready for the long haul now!! ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom