Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

spark plugs and wire recommendation

swoosh

Corvette
1996 COUPE
What brand of plugs and wires can you recommend. Is there really a performance difference between brands? Also how about fuel infection cleaner. Are they all the same or is there a particular brand that really stands out? Thanks

I use Bosch +4's with Delco 8mm wires. As for fuel injector cleaner, I used Lucas (I think that's what it's called). I've used the STP ones before and they didn't do me any harm.

As for a performance increase, I really can't notice any. But I have noticed that the idle is much smoother.

My Corvette tech has been working on 'Vettes since before the C4's came out.... on any given day, he has at least 5 corvettes in his bay, C4's and C5's. When I went to him for a tune up, I brought bosch plugs... he told me he would gladly put them in, then gladly charge me again to put in a new set in 15k miles. He explained the heat range is wrong on Bosch plugs for stock Corvette engines (especially LT1's and LT4's) He swears by the GM platinum plugs, and explained I would never need a plug change again (until a rebuild) I had about 100k on my '93 LT1 when I took it to him.... needless to say, I bought the GM plugs and he put those in for me, and never had a problem.

On the flip side, he uses bosch plugs for modified engines, which require different heat ranges.

I'm getting ready to put a set of NGK TR55's in my 92 LT1 Vette this week. I prefer a copper plug. I hear great things about these from people with LT1s, especially the F-Body guys. My car apparently has the stock plugs with 120k miles on them and the gap is huge from looking at 1 I pulled. Still running perfect though. My car has been maintained to the T (Mobil 1 every 3k since new, oil is as clean as my Mustang motor with 100 miles on it). The only 2 previous owners were old people, but looks like they never changed the plugs, did EVERYTHING else though.

My 95 LT1 Z28 had the same thing, with 118k on stock AC platinum plugs. It developed a slight backfiring prob and new plugs cleared it up. Ran el cheapo $0.99 Bosch Super's. They are a copper plug. Had em for 10k miles so far with ZERO probs.

I'm going to try these NGK's so I have first hand experience. If they don't perform well or last (Hey they were only like $12 for the set) I throw some AC platinums in it. AC plugs are great and last a long time.

I DO NOT like the Bosch +4 things. I have heard of a few cases that the electrodes came off. I don't trust those for anything. It's another gimmick like the Splitfire thing was.

Steve

the only fuel injection cleaner GM uses is called techron you can get it at texeco ,chevron or GM dealers . Gm says a lot of the other additives will damage pumps, remove the coatings inside fuel lines and damage fuel injectors that have the coils submersed in the fuel, by eating away the protective coating on the windings. that is from the general for what it is worth :nono Steve not my 2 cents

I'm not knocking the aircraft type design (yes I have seen aircraft plugs). I find the design very interesting of some marine plugs that have no electrode on the bottom. They are flat, why cant this type be adapted to automotive use. Still electricity finds the shortest path of resistance, thats how electricity works.

Still, a plug isn't going to give you any big power increase. That is the gimmick my friend. Take 2 NEW sets of plugs in the same motor with all equal factors and compare the results. Show me actual #'s. It might last longer, big deal, my stock plugs lasted forever.

Yes, an increase in power may be had from changing from old worn out ignition components to new ones..

I have heard of people that have had electrodes come off these Bosch +4's. This is what I have heard, so I won't run them, maybe for one major reason. Peace of mind. I don't want pieces of a $5 plug falling off into one of my cylinders and possibly causing a problem. For that reason, I will stay conventional.

Steve

my past experience with any chevy engine has been that an AC plug seems to be the best. i also use chevron techron cleaner in all of my fi vehicles. it was recommended from a friend who owns an airplance repair facility and his dad had a chevy dealership.

I'm using Taylor 8mm wires right now, MSD Superconductors are great wires I went with the Taylors though because anything larger than 8mm won't fit in the stock loom retainers and I didn't feel like messing with it. My retainers are all pretty much broken or missing now anyway so next time I do wires I'm going back to MSD.

I replaced the original AC plugs on my 94 two springs ago. I replaced them w/ AC delco's again. When I pulled them this past summer when I installed headers the pucks were missing on almost all the plugs. Where they went ? I only had about 3k miles on the new plugs.
I replaced them this time with the NGK TR55's. We'll see how these work out. So far they're ok and like Steve said $12 for a set compared to $45+ for a set of Delco's is a no-brainer in my book.

Don't waste you money on cleaners. Posted somewhere here, are comments from a GM engineer who studied injector cleaners. Their corporate study showed that 2-3 tanks of detergent gasoline cleaned filthy injectors as well and anything. Most fuels contain detergents. Check the pump labels.

For a stock engine or even somewhat 'warmed up' I like the Delcos and the stock wires. My original wires went to over 50k miles, quite unlike the old carbon imbedded wire days. Heck, you could use copper wires then, if you never listened to the radio. That is NOT an option today.

GM finally uses decent components in these cars. The spark will only use the voltage needed to jump the gap. That delivered may be restricted by inferior or damaged ignition parts. The Corvette OEM parts are fine, as are many aftermarket wires.

:w

Vettelt193 said:
When I went to him for a tune up, I brought bosch plugs... he told me he would gladly put them in, then gladly charge me again to put in a new set in 15k miles. He explained the heat range is wrong on Bosch plugs for stock Corvette engines (especially LT1's and LT4's) He swears by the GM platinum plugs, and explained I would never need a plug change again (until a rebuild) I had about 100k on my '93 LT1 when I took it to him.... needless to say, I bought the GM plugs and he put those in for me, and never had a problem.

I have heard the same about the Bosch plugs from a well respected corvette mechanic here in Chantilly VA. There are off a slightly in heat range.

The stock AC plugs for a 1996 LT4 are junk. The pucks fall of the things often enough. Four of my original plugs were changed at 75,000 miles.
All four were missing the little puck. That changes that gap from .50 to .62. You will lose power. I recently change the other four original plugs at 100,000 miles. Again all four pucks were missing. I also pulled the four new ones installed at 75,000 to make sure they were ok. Guess what? All four had the little puck missing. I'll try the NGK's in about 20,000 miles or so. By then the pucks should have fallen off again. The AC Delco box states 100,000 mile guarenteed. What BS!

On plug wires i used oem wires. They work fine for stock vette.

The issue that concerns me is where that little broken off piece goes...

Personally I LOVE my Bosch +4's and I use Bosch P's on all my other cars (Even previous)

Im also I diehard MSD fan so I got the Red 8.5 wires from them as well.

For the masses? We have had BAD LUCK with NGK's and V Grooves. So all we carry now is AC Delco's and we've never had a come back from malfunction...inproper installation once but never the plugs fault.

(Of course IMHO Im not knocking others choices)

BigRed said:
Personally I LOVE my Bosch +4's and I use Bosch P's on all my other cars (Even previous)

Im also I diehard MSD fan so I got the Red 8.5 wires from them as well.

For the masses? We have had BAD LUCK with NGK's and V Grooves. So all we carry now is AC Delco's and we've never had a come back from malfunction...inproper installation once but never the plugs fault.

(Of course IMHO Im not knocking others choices)

I've got 12 AC Delco plugs from my 96 LT4 missing the pucks. 4 out of the 12 have only 30,000 miles on them.
What kind of issues did you have with the NGK plug. What part number also?
Thanks

Both my father and I are using Nology wires (011 118 021
- 8 cyl.kit) with great results. The wires are not cheap but in both cases we have been pleased...

Any tips on changing the four ignition wires on the drivers side of a "93"? Got the four on the passenger side okay, not sure how to get behind the pulleys for the other four. Plugs are easier then I thought. Can't even see the wires. What do I have to take off? Any input appreciated.:s

Bosch platinums work fine in my car (L98), too: 50,000 miles on my first set, 51,000 and counting on my second set.
But the original poster has a '96 with probably an LT-1, so it's quite possible the recommended Bosch is the wrong heat range for those engines.

In which case, of course, you try the next heat range...

MSD wires are the best. Thats what all the pro's on the racing circuit run. Plus, i'de just stick with a/c delco plugs.....what ever came from the factory.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom