Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Speedo Cable

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
Just bought a new speedometer cable from MAD. Is there any tricks or secerts to replacing the cable on my 81 4-spd? Thanks, ZAL81

ZAL81,

Did you get the Cable complete or the insert?
BudD
:w

BudD, I got the complete cable/casing. I talked to one of MAD tech guys and he said it would be easier to replace the cable/casing as one

Washington,MO ?

Hey, this must be Zane......Right? I know I have seen that car somewhere before.
I replaced just my cable insert from the dashbaord end of the casing and it wasn't too bad:(
Get the band-aids ready! your knuckles will be hurting.
One tip, remove the drivers seat ( only 4 bolts ) This gives you much more room to work in while laying on your back with your head up over the clutch pedal :L
This really does make it easier!

On the back of the speedometer is a metal clip like thing that you depress and it lets you pull out the cable casing end, you can see it if you stick your head way up there. Then fish it through the firewall and un-screw it from the transmission. (sounds easy anyway).
The cable casing is very stiff and hard to work with, have patience, make sure the cable itsehlf is inserted "Squarely" into the trans and then the other end just snaps back in to the back of the speedometer.
I do not know what the directions say, but, I recommend secureing the transmission end first, and the back of the speedometer last!

Good luck,
Maybe I'll see you at Chevy's May 6th
Tom, Route 66 Corvette Club, St. Charles County,MO.

Ditto to what fastglass95 Said

I took out the speedo head when I greased the Dog Snot out of it. The Bezel comes off pretty easy, care should be taken not to crack or break it when taking it off, then remove the little screws and the speedo comes out enough to reach the clip. I also took this opertunity to replace all the light bulbs, clean the speedo, tach and the bezel plastic.

I took the seat out too, then used some heavy duty washers to bring the back of the seat up about 1/4" when putting the seat back in. Also tightened up the seat a bit too. Good Luck and let us know how it goes,
If the gromet in the fire wall doesn't fall apart during the removal of the old Speedo you'll be a very luck person, if it does, take the pieces to a parts house and chances are they will be able to match it up with a new one ;)

fastclass95.... The cable casing is very stiff and hard to work with, have patience, make sure the cable itsehlf is inserted "Squarely" into the trans and then the other end just snaps back in to the back of the speedometer.

BudD

Speedo quit working after a week. Of course I was ****ed because I had just had the thing rebuilt. I pulled the dash out to take it back and lo and behold, the thing worked when I gave the thing a good twist.

I took the car out for a spin around the block and of course the speedo cable is not turning. I had taken it out to lubricate it while I had the dash out. It appears to be all the way in.

Any ideas?

Bob

Bob,
Disconnect it from the Tranny and see what the cable end looks like.. Also check the gear seat at the tranny, make sure both mate up properly. If it didn't seat properly it may be chewed up one or the other connecting points.. May require a new inard or tranny gear.. If the tranny end looks, have someone check the speedo and move the inards and see if the speedo moves..

Good Luck
BudD

Hey Bob.. what language... I own and work on a C3 tooooooo :J

BudD

ZAL81,
When you get yor new cable installed......don't do what I did.....forget to check that the cable isn't resting on the exhaust. DUOOH!!!!!!! :( Anyways....I have to redo mine..only this time with the engine installed. A little FYI to other L81 owners, AUTOZONE carries the cable/casing for around $12.00. Fits and works just like the OEM cable!

SARGE

Cruise?

I am assuming none of my L81 buddy's have the Cruise Control option with the 4-spd? If you've got the Cruise Control, best bet is the Transducer is crap and that is what went out. If so, the cable from the tranny to the Transducer is going to need to be replaced anyway too. Otherwise like Yoda said, I would think the gear and cable fit at the Tranny is the most likely problem.

........ Nut

Cruise/speedo cable

Nut, You are correct to assume that us 4-speed L81er's don't have cruise control on our cars. Wasn't an option on 4 speeds back in 81. Wish mine had it, but wouldn't want to give up my 4-speed to get it! ZAL81

SARGE81 said:
A little FYI to other L81 owners, AUTOZONE carries the cable/casing for around $12.00. Fits and works just like the OEM cable!

SARGE

Thanks Sarge. Mine is getting the dreaded bouncy needle and i'm thinkng the best thing to do would be to just replace the cable and know i have a new one and $12 sounds like a pretty good price to me. Thanks again

Speedo cable

nstg8r, when you replace yours let me know how much of a pain in the a-- it is. I have the same bouncing needle problem. I've had a new cable hanging in my garage for almost a year now - just haven't gotten brave enoygh to tackle the job?! ZAL81

Zal,

Don't sweat it. I never use mine anyway. I love driving this car. Setting the cruise ain't driving. Regarding your cable replacement, Fastglass is right. You will likely lose some knuckle skin unless you have really small hands. I did my '72 a couple times. It was no fun at all. Take the opportunity to check connectors and look for loose or hanging wires while you are poking around up under the dash.

Good luck........ Nut

speedo cable

As some of you know I drive my vette daily (they where made for driving you know!!!:cool :cool) and I noticed that at least at the slower speeds I was going the needle didn't bounce once. Is it possible the lubrication finnaly worked it's way into the part that was hanging up? I always thought a bouncy needle meant a stretched cable. Kind of makes me want to go take it out on the highway and see what 65+ does.

Nstg8r, my speedo only bounces in the high speeds aswell. I have to be going at least 65+ to get it to bounce. I have done nothing to the cable. No greasing or anything. Was told it was stretched by my mechanic. Just a thought. :)

Scott

Stryker_78 said:
my speedo only bounces in the high speeds aswell.

it seems that it used to be that it bounced between 0 and 30 then went solid untill 65 then bonced again so who knows.

Re: Cruise?

Nut said:
If you've got the Cruise Control, best bet is the Transducer is crap and that is what went out. If so, the cable from the tranny to the Transducer is going to need to be replaced anyway too. ........ Nut

Nut,

Are you saying that if the transducer on the cruise control goes out, the speedo will go out as well. I do have the cruise on the car and it doesn't work. Are you also saying that this is two pieces; one from the speedo to the transducer and another from the transducer to the trannie?

Bob

Bouncing Speedo...

My '81 had the "follow the bouncing speedo" when I first got her too. She said idle for about 4 years or so.. (the trip home from Michigan.. with the speedo bouncing and whinning like a hungry dog... about drove me :crazy)

One of the first things I did was to take the cable free from the back of the speedo head, pulled it back through the firewall (tied a small cord to it so I could pull it back through ;) ) then poured some graphite down the cable body.. let it sit over night with the end elevated.. re-installed it the next day... and haven't had any problems ;)

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom