Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! speedo,gas smell, brake warning light

tomgok

Corvette
76 L-48,coupe
Well I didn't think it would be long before I needed your help. First any ideas why my speedo reads good up to 45 then stays there ? I'm getting the brake light on the dash and the pedal goes pretty far to the floor. I bled the brakes and it was good for a few days and now it is back. Lastly when I park it in the garage there is a strong smell of fuel but no apparent leaks anywhere so I'm guessing vapor from somewhere. Not too bad for my first week with my first Vette. 76, auto,coupe,L-48

I will try to talking to this one......... "I'm getting the brake light on the dash and the pedal goes pretty far to the floor. I bled the brakes and it was good for a few days and now it is back."

The problem makes me think you have at least one disk that has runout that is out of spec (+ or - .005). That said your calipers are acting like a air pump and sucking air into the caliper. That is why your bleeding your brakes only last a few dsays. As the pedal gets close to the floor your red light will come on.

I don't know what your level of working on your own car is? So I will suggest that you take your car to a Corvette experienced mechanic who understands disk brake runout.

This is a long and involved problem with a abbreviate answer. I hope this helps.

The fuel smell is more than likely is a result of a missing or poor performing vapor canister. On my 73, the canister was removed along with all its plumbing. There is a vapor line that runs from the top of the gas tank along the inside of the frame on the driver's side that is supposed to be connected to the vapor canister, which is supposed to be located in front of the driver's side floor pan. The vapor canister is full of charcoal and it has a filter in the bottom. If your can is there, then the filter will need to be changed. Two lines on top of the canister should be routed to your carb vacuum lines. One should be routed through a PVC valve in your drivers side valve cover. The idea is that the carb sucks in the vapors and burns them. Your assembly manual will show you the connections. If all of that stuff is missing from your car, then the fuel vapor line has probably been cut and is venting fumes inside your car and garage. If you need help, let me know. Move done a bunch or research on this andmcan point you towards several resources.

...my speedo reads good up to 45 then stays there?...

Test the speedo cables to ensure they are plugged in well and in good shape.

...I'm getting the brake light on the dash and the pedal goes pretty far to the floor...

Time to start on brake work. If you bled the system correctly and the problem returned, further work is required.

...when I park it in the garage there is a strong smell of fuel...

Vapor cannister is the usual culprit.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom